20,000 mile service

Kim Turner

.040 Over
Ride
2007 triumph Rocket III Classic
About 500 miles short of 20,000 mile service on 2007 Triumph Rocket III Classic. Was going to take it to dealers here in Albuquerque, NM, but no longer any dealers here in New Mexico. Either El Paso, TX, or do it myself. Recommended/Required workshop manual? Any recommendations appreciated. Thank you

To my knowledge, there is not a service interval, per se, at 20,000 miles.

The next scheduled service interval after your initial service at 500 miles ( the break-in service and oil change for new bikes) is due at 10,000 miles and the most important item at that interval is having your valves checked for proper clearances. The next scheduled service interval is 20,000 miles later at 30,000 miles and the rest you can read here; http://ascycles.com/pdf/TriumphServiceSchedules/TriumphRocketMaintenanceScheudle.pdf

Do you know if your valves were checked/adjusted at the 10,000 mile interval, Kim? If not, you are way overdue.

One item not listed on the service interval schedule is lubricating the splines in the drive shaft which should be done religiously at least once every 10,000 miles. Most of us lube those splines whenever we change our rear tires.

Bought the bike while in the army in 2007, but always being sent somewhere so did not get much time to ride. Serviced in March 2015 (At 15,217 miles) as it had been sitting, and the valves where checked then. Retired from army, and was then sick for a long time so no riding until last summer, hence only 19,000 + miles. Engine oil and filters changed and bike given weekly runs while I was away. Know that final drive is due.

This is your first valve check interval; that is the big item at 20K miles. If you can do that one at home, you should be good. The rest is in your owners manual on what is to be checked, most is routine tightening of cables, oil and filter change and so on.

@Kim Turner Thank you for your service, and so glad you are here. I would suggest you contact some our other wonderful members who are within riding distance of you. There is highly likely one or more willing to visit, and if nothing else, provide moral support for your activity -- and who knows where it might lead ? Butch Cassidy . . . Midnight Rider . . . Bonnie and Clyde . . .

This is your first valve check interval; that is the big item at 20K miles. If you can do that one at home, you should be good. The rest is in your owners manual on what is to be checked, most is routine tightening of cables, oil and filter change and so on.

First valve check is due at 10K, the next at 30k and the next after that at 60K, Bobby. Since he knows that the valves were done at 15K, that's off the tare list for about 10,000 more miles.

Kim, I believe that your most immediate concern is lubing the splines and replacing the final drive fluid. The balance is fairly routine and, likely, less consequential.

Keep us posted!

First valve check is due at 10K, the next at 30k and the next after that at 60K, Bobby. Since he knows that the valves were done at 15K, that's off the tare list for about 10,000 more miles.

Kim, I believe that your most immediate concern is lubing the splines and replacing the final drive fluid. The balance is fairly routine and, likely, less consequential.

Keep us posted!
My manual says check valves at 20K, 40K 60K...

Keep us posted!
First valve check changed to 20,000 miles by Truimph. Documentation presented in early post on this subject.

I believe that I posted the correct info for Kim's 2007 model, guys - the same year as my two-wheeled Mistress.

Please LMK if Triumph retroactively changed the recommended interval(s) for earlier (pre-Roadster?) models!

Back