12 minute tune

brtr628

Standard Bore
I just aquired an 05 Rocket and last night I put on D and D's. I want to do the 12 minute tune but do not remember everything. I tried search but did not get the answer. This is my second Rocket. I bought the first one when they first came out and sold it about a year later.

I know I start it and let it run for 12 minutes after the fan comes on but do not remember the rest.

Thanks
Bill

From what I rememmber thats it in a nutshell
other than do not twist the throtle before starting.
after 12 mins just shut off then restsrt and go

What I do:
Unplug battery for a few seconds (clears the ECU memory). Not sure if that step is needed.....
Start the engine, don't ever touch the throttle, wait 12mins after the fan first starts.
Shut her down.

That simple.

Copied from an earlier post...........

The 12 minute tune...

Start the bike up without touching the throttle and let it idle.

Let it idle (without touching the throttle) until the cooling fans kick on.

At that point, let it idle for a further 12 minutes (without touching the throttle).

Shut the engine off.

You have just completed the "12 minute tune". This simply resets the ECM's learning function to its base or default settings, so now it can re-learn using the new equipment you have installled. Very useful if you change air filters, exhausts, etc....

Please note... you must start this process with a cold engine.

Owl and others - might be going out on a bit of a limb here, but anyway: Why is it a requirement to shut down the bike after the 12 minutes? Surely the ECU just needs the 12 minutes to store the idle info - turning it off or just riding away, I believe, have no adverse effect

I put this to my Triumph tech a few months back and he agreed. When he runs the 12 minute tune he does indeed start the twelve minutes from when the fan turns on, but says there's no need to turn it off after the 12 minutes - a minimum of 12 minutes is the requirement

Opinions?

Good point, DC.

I'm certainly no expert, but that sounds sensible.

I suppose I've always followed those directions to the letter & never thought about it, as whenever I've done the 12 min tune, there have been other things going on with the bike in the garage/driveway & I've been going nowhere anyway. :D

I agree that it should be cold when you do the twelve minute tune but I was also of the opinion that you needed to power it down for the ECU to "remember" the setting. This becomes the new, and back to standard, baseline. I may well be wrong about this concept, but I have noticed that I have problems sometimes when I use the kill switch to shut the bike off, which seems to upset the process of the 'evolving' tune. I may well be completely full of BS on this whole idea. :lol: Would not be the first time. :lol: :lol: But for now I will still turn it off without touching the throttle after the 12 minute tune. :wink:

Running the 12+12 minute tune is mainly to re-adapt the closed throttle (closed loop) settings that its re-learning, by re-setting it you wil have simply returned all its previous adjustments to their base settings. It will then during riding see how far out it can push the ignition advance and fuel while monitoring the O2 content until it reaches the optimum settings for your fuel and atmospheric conditions. You dont need to key the ignition off, just hop on and ride it normally, thrashing the hell out of it like I do will do nothing at all, as during wide throttle openings the ECU will switch to its open loop control mode. In this mode the info coming back from the o2 sensors is discounted as the ECU reverts to its own fixed map.

Back