12 Min tune Information

Tdragger - The areas on this map that are 14.57 are areas were the ECU uses readings from the O2 sensor to correct the air to fuel ratio to 14.57 to 1, which is ideal for emmissions. If the O2 is reading higher or lower a/f ratios in those areas it corrects it and saves the correction in the ECU. Doing the 12 min tune wipes all of those stored trims so the ECU can learn new ones. So if you make changes to the exhaust, intake or change altitude quickly etc you may need to reset the ECU. The ECU will adapt over time, but by forcing the corrections immediately you won't have to put up with the bike running like crap. If you use tuneboy or a PCIII you should disable the O2 sensor to keep the ECU from correcting your map.

I can tell you from experience the adaptive function of the ecu is quite amazing. I got an after market exhaust from Japan which came with different secondary throttle plates put it all together. The bike was unrideable. It would not idle. I tried to ride it over 10mins no joy. Anyway put the original throttle plates back in which should put it back to normal. Again it ran like ****. Dyno tuning was closing so I was forced to ride the almost unrideable bike home. Anyway over the next 30 min of riding the bike and tune slowly came good. I could not do the 12min tune cause the bike engine was already warm and it would not run without partial throttle.
Mav

Ok, so after 12 min the ECU resets to default values and starts learning again. Got it. Thanks for the explanation.

So if I replace the stock air filter with a K&N or possibly an undertank K&N, I should run the 12 min tune to reset and start the learning process again, correct?

I am doing a dyno run this week and was then going to put on new slip on mufflers sourced from Japan and what appears to be new throttle body plates for inlet manifold. Manufacture advertising 30% increase in torque. Hoping to stick with same triumph tune.

If your new mufflers result in that much more power, the same Triumph tune isn't going to work. I don't believe 30% - you would need a lot more air and fuel for that kind of increase in power and you won't be getting any more fuel from your current Triumph map. Further, if you do indeed have the stock tune for the TOR's/cat bypass, you're losing 12-13 ft. lbs of peak torque at about 2700 rpm because of the restriction on the secondary plates in that tune. 12-min tune isn't going to do anything for peak torque or HP.

I was sceptical too. The mufflers are the slip on hammers from Japan and they came with secondary throttle plates that were considerably smaller than stock. I could not get the bike to run very well with them installed. Unrideable and erratic. I spoke to the Japanese over the phone and the plates where developed for one of the Triumph tunes only. I put the stock one back in. I decided to get tuneboy and found out my bike had the wrong tune installed from day 1 for TORs and Cat delete. Since gone the 3 K&N route and Pigs Tuneboy+pc111 tune 2ndaries open 100% and its a whole new bike.
I am very happy with the look and sound of the Hammer mufflers. Sound like Jardines but better finished than any other after market pipe I seen for the Rocket.

Back