Congrats Captain:bch:

So now I have to figure out how to change my screen name...R3 to be, doesnt work when you have one, not just dreaming of one, lol.

< well, I now know what that grin is all about.
Put in for a change of address card with the janitor.

This bike amazes me every time I go out. It has its quirks , but it is stable at speed in a straight line no matter how fast I go .....So the question for you HeR3tic is, what tires are you running cuzz Damaged wants to know what is making your bike shake at 115 mph . I have not heard this from anther captain.

R3tobe...Ride the crap out of it and seat the rings , it will be good for a couple of HPrs later. The owners manual is a legal document for the manufacturer , It has good suggestions , but that is about it ......Wack the throttle and break it in good, it wont hurt it....This advise is not for 18 yr olds cuz thay take it to extreme.....The point is , you need to seat the rings , and that takes some hammering on the throttle in the first stages of brake in.

I had my dealer look up the cam part numbers and they are the same as the standard Rocket however the throttle bodies were different. I couldn't tell you what the difference is otherwise. I would have a hard time believing that Triumph would detune them with only a tune. The stock tires are speed rated for 120mph? I think. They wouldn't make it that easy to circumvent.

R3tobe, you're not too far from Triumph of Chattanooga, they are known for having the best deals in the US for new Rockets.

My dealer told me the dealer meeting was in July.

Pigger, et al,
Triumph of Chattanooga is no longer in business, they have shut the doors citing financial troubles relating to their Victory/Polaris dealings. Currently there is no Triumph dealer here. Such a shame too, I passed by the dealership twice a day to and from work and about twice a week I'd stop in and chat up Les the service/parts manager.

Joe

This bike amazes me every time I go out. It has its quirks , but it is stable at speed in a straight line no matter how fast I go .....So the question for you HeR3tic is, what tires are you running cuzz Damaged wants to know what is making your bike shake at 115 mph . I have not heard this from anther captain.

R3tobe...Ride the crap out of it and seat the rings , it will be good for a couple of HPrs later. The owners manual is a legal document for the manufacturer , It has good suggestions , but that is about it ......Wack the throttle and break it in good, it wont hurt it....This advise is not for 18 yr olds cuz thay take it to extreme.....The point is , you need to seat the rings , and that takes some hammering on the throttle in the first stages of brake in.

When you say hammering the throttle, what do you mean...at all ranges and in all gears? Top end? Takeoff?

Pigger, et al,
Triumph of Chattanooga is no longer in business, they have shut the doors citing financial troubles relating to their Victory/Polaris dealings. Currently there is no Triumph dealer here. Such a shame too, I passed by the dealership twice a day to and from work and about twice a week I'd stop in and chat up Les the service/parts manager.

Joe

Well, that explains why I couldnt get an answer from them, lol.

Castle Powersports in Madison, TN gets great reviews from me. Great staff, worked a great deal with me. Even threw in some freebies for me.

After the first tank of gas ( I don't even weight that long ) run the thing close to the limiter in the middle gears and make the bike work hard, kinda like making a close pass , drop down a couple and let it go. If you hit the limiter it wont hurt it cuz that is what it is for.I dont whack it on take off ever, that generates the most damaging force on the drive train ,with this big pig and its torque. I let it get to about 5000 rpms on the go in first before opening it up. I will look for a good thread on the subject and post it if I can find it.

After the first tank of gas ( I don't even weight that long ) run the thing close to the limiter in the middle gears and make the bike work hard, kinda like making a close pass , drop down a couple and let it go. If you hit the limiter it wont hurt it cuz that is what it is for.I dont whack it on take off ever, that generates the most damaging force on the drive train ,with this big pig and its torque. I let it get to about 5000 rpms on the go in first before opening it up. I will look for a good thread on the subject and post it if I can find it.

Thanks!
Thats good info...why do they say to be so careful the first 600 miles/

People have the weirdest ideas about how to (break) in an engine from running the piss out of it to changing the oil after 50 miles. Whatever blows your dress up, I guess. The R3 engine like any modern engine really takes no specific break-in procedure other than your sanity. As far as getting a few extra horsepower from using your procedure, I highly doubt that. Gross horsepower is a result of displacement, valve timing, mixture flow and fuel delivery and is in no way altered by someone's break-in procedures other than maybe running the bike out of oil and seizing it up.

It's always been my philosophy that if you want an engine to last a long time, take care of it with regular maintenance but especially don't run the piss out of it. It's a machine and machines, when abused, will let you down when you least expect it and that's the way it is. Always has been, always will be.

HeR3tic might have a headstock problem, that is, his bike like mine isn't new and the headstock bearings might need adjusted...not uncommon. I, for one don't go blasting around over 100 per very much...The Rock will do it and lots more but I'm content knowing what it will do rather than doing it. Life is way too tenuous and fleeting to be acting like a speed demon on public roads on a regular basis. Remember, you are on the bottom of the food chain, everything else out there on that road can kill you, right now. Why equate speed into that.

Back