05 Negative Battery Cable

Ugarte

Turbocharged
Ride
2005 Rocket III
I want to replace the negative battery cable with a 4 gauge cable on my 05 Rocket, however I noticed that the stock cable has a smaller gauge pigtail that connects to a group of wires via a plastic connecter. Where can I order a 4 gauge aftermarket cable that has this auxiliary wire and connector? Or do I need to chop the original auxiliary wire/connector and rewire to an aftermarket cable?

you have answered your own question as I doubt there is a 4 gauge cable available out there ready made with
a) the right length already
b) the auxiliary connector already attached

You have two options
1) measure up the length you need and buy the cable, taking the Aux wire and connector of the old cable and fitting it to the new one.
2) go to an Auto Electrician with your old one and ask to duplicate it but in 4 gauge cable

I ended up replacing both the negative and the positive battery cables with 4 gauge. The negative was fairly easy but I had to remove the exhaust and catbox to get to the positive connection at the starter solenoid. It took some fenagling to get the cables routed properly also. What made the job easier was laying the bike on its side which exposed its underbelly. The Leatherlyke saddle bags and the engine guards take the weight well and keep the brake or gearshift lever (depending on which side I lay it down) from being damaged.

Since I couldn't find a ready made cable I bought 42 inch 4 gauge cables at Napa auto parts, chopped off the ends, attached screw-on terminals I found at Home Depot and covered both ends with heat shrink. Cost 20 bucks for both cables. They work great, starter seems to crank faster and easier. The stock cables are barely up to the job, 4 gauge is the way to go.

Back