Your Funniest Bike/Rain experience

A few years ago I was heading to MId Ohio race track from Long Island. It was cloudy but not raining. I got on Rt 80 in NJ when trffic stopped because 2 caggers wanted the same spot. It was stopped for almost and hour. Next to me was an SUV with 4 older women. about 30 min. into the jamup it started to rain first lightly then it came down with no place to go I lloked at the SUV and all the women were looking at me like I was crazy. I shuged my sholders and laughted and they all laughted with me. I didn't stop raining till I got into OHIO. the full lenght of PA in a rain that was like buckets were being dumped on me. By the way I left my rain gear home because it was going to be a nice ride.

Last Saturday (Jan 21st) I went to a party in Sydney.
The trip was 600Ks if I took the freeway, 650 if I come in the back way thru Bathurst and Windsor.
Option 2, although 50Ks further was a much more open country route with half the traffic and no fixed point to point cameras.

This was my first decent long ride since getting the Rocket in October and was as keen as to really find out how compatable my arse and that seat were on a long trip.:rolleyes:

Woke extra early on the Saturday morning and was ready to roll by 6.30 so I made a last minute decision to change my plan and take the scenic route, about an extra 100Ks further again and all following the rivers and mountain ranges till I crossed the Freeway at Gundagai.

Was a bit disapointed with myself when it took me 3 hours to cover that 280Ks.:(
The road was quite tight and windy up thru the ranges and by the time I got to Gundagai I was about an hour behind where I would have been if I went the other way, so once I crossed over the freeway and got back out onto the open plains again I pushed a bit harder and hoped for no disco lights to come out of the bushes and ruin my fun.

The day had started off with hardly a cloud in the sky, although it was forecast for possible showers.
About 45Ks from Bathurst I noticed that the clouds were starting to thicken up but didn't look too serious. I was needing to top up the fuel before long anyway so kept going.

Another 25Ks along I it was starting to look quite heavy out to my right and I reckon I'd seen a few flashes of lightning out of the corner of my eye as well.
The road was leading me off to the left and away from this cloud belt still and I was hoping I'd skirt around it all and make town.
As I crested the next big hill the road turned right and ran me straight into this bigmother of a rain dump cloud. I had traffic in front and behind me and constant bends with about 200m visiblity so I couldn't see well enough to safely pull up.

A few Ks on I spotted somewhere and stopped long enough to stick the phone, wallet and GPS into the saddlebags. I was already wet and had pulled up in a prick of a spot anyway. There was nowhere to sit and put my wets on properly so I opted to run with it till town. After all, it couldn't be more than 15Ks away now, and with a bit of luck the rain will ease, yeah:(.

The sky opened up on me big time after that and that 15Ks took 15 minutes to cover.
Cars were either pulling over or travelling at 30 to 40 Ks but I wasn't stopping again for anyone.
The lightning was all around me and every 20 or 30 seconds apart by then and I reckoned I was a high risk if I stopped then. I remember seeing a sign on the road pointing up to Mt Panarama and thinking how crappy it would be camped up there for the races if they were on right now.

I spotted a workshop on the edge of town with a sheltered loading bay on the side so I pulled in there to sit it out. I emptied a cup full of water out of my boots and squeezed another cup full out of my socks then stripped down to nothing, put on dry clothes and my wets and headed off again.

The rain didn't really stop for the rest of the trip till I was 20 Ks from my destination.
What was a 750K trip took me 10 hours to cover and as crappy as it all was at the time it was the highlight of the trip.

Guys that won't go out in the rain really don't know what they're missing.

I can't decide if I get more p!ssed at being caught in the rain with my open face or taking the full face and it not raining. :(
Don't have any real funny stories about riding in the rain except I always chuckle when I see a bike advertised that has never been ridden in the rain - as if it somehow makes it more valuable. What's that about?????

This happened a few years ago .. i'm wiser now. Been out for a day ride and got drenched on the way back. Had to call in and see someone on the way home and didn't really want to turn up wrining wet. Got near their place and spotted a laundromat , it was after dark and it was empty. Pulled up , removed the lightbulb in the joint and stripped down to my jocks. Threw all my wet clothes into the dryer and sat there in the dark waiting for them to dry. Guess the owner lived nearby and spotted the lights out. He burst into the place with a flashlight .. and there i was :D

Well I don't know if it's really funny or not used to ride Washington DC. every year for the ride to the wall seems like every time it would rain one year we had close to 600 bikes in the group pouring rain thought was going to drown is that possible to drown on a motorcycle going down the road" It's hard to top the laundromat sitting in your birthday suit .:D
Oh yes Mexican you need to tell inquiring minds want to know :confused:

Well I don't know if it's really funny or not used to ride Washington DC. every year for the ride to the wall seems like every time it would rain one year we had close to 600 bikes in the group pouring rain thought was going to drown is that possible to drown on a motorcycle going down the road" It's hard to top the laundromat sitting in your birthday suit .:D
Oh yes Mexican you need to tell inquiring minds want to know :confused:
Undies mate .. nude is .. weird !!! :eek:

1971 still living in London riding from my girlfriends house in Eastcote back to where I was living near Tottenham Court Rd.

I had a BSA Rocket Gold Star....11 oclock at night..on the Western Avenue..pouring rain..suit rolled up inside my Barbour Jacket approaching the Hanger Lane underpass.

As you can imagine goggles fogging up..vision slightly impaired..didn't notice the underpass had 2 foot of water in it!

Hit it at about 50mph..like riding into a brick wall. Went over the clip-ons face down in the flood, stood up couldn't see the bike as it was submerged.

Truck pulled up alongside and driver said 'what are you doing standing in the water this time of night?' Many expletives later and truck was disappearing into the night and then it took me until daylight to push the bike to my grandmothers house in East Acton.

Amusing to me now but very unfunny at the time!!

Like Herald above, I was going to Mid-Ohio. This was the summer before last. Sunny day, when this huge black cloud came out of nowhere and let loose. Coming down so hard cars were pulling off the road. I remember thinking, "I couldn't get any wetter than this" and at that moment feeling it soak through my boxers. I thought OK, NOW I couldn't...

In the summer of 1983 I was working out in West Texas (Midland) and my girlfriend lived in Houston. In need of a nookie-run, I headed out on my Yamaha 750 Special for the 500 miles or so to Houston.

As I was on I-10 just west of Houston, in came one of those torrential south Texas downpours. It was raining so hard that the truckers and cagers were stopping IN THEIR LANES! I had to lane-split to get up to an overpass for cover. Through the rain I spotted a Honda dealer just on the other side of the overpass so down the embankment I went to the service road. Of course, the power had gone out and everyone in the store was packing up to go home so I had to go back out into the maelstrom. After 5 more miles of white-knuckle lane-splitting the rain let up and finally made it to my destination.

Back