Yamaha rider - considering a new Rocket III - would like advice

brad thomas

Standard Bore
Ride
Stryker 1300
I have ridden motorcycles for quite some time, and am currently riding a 1300 Yamaha cruiser. Yesterday, while window shopping at my local dealer, I spied a Rocket III on the floor and fell in love. But - this thing is gigantic. I would like to know - would this bike make for a suitable every day rider? I only own a bike - no car. So it's important that I can get around in the city without too much of an issue. any and all comments welcome.

G'day and welcome. I ride mine just about every day, but only have 112,000 miles on it - so can't say how long it will keep doing that. ;) ;)

Which city will you be riding in? The theater district of Manhattan isn't much fun in summer, but some other cities have been okay, for me at least.

what city do you live in ? the only problem i have is with parking i can not park on the sidewalk with out getting a parking ticket because my bike is bigger than a lot of cars. go big or go home

I had these concerns also before I bought my Roadster but was pleasantly surprised how well it handles at low speeds. Can't speak to the Touring model.

Not hard to get used to the silly grin a Rocket 3 will put on your face.

I live in Tulsa, OK - it's not too bad riding in and out of lots, and the streets aren't too congested. I'm mainly concerned with handling and weight issues at this point. This is one big ass bike.

I doubt the one you saw is any bigger than the ones plenty of us ride every day, in traffic. Now please don't ask if we think you can handle it. If you're up to trying it and getting used to it (doesn't take long), do it.

Hahaha. I'm up to "handling it." I was just wondering about the "ease" of stop and go traffic, turning, parking lot nightmares, that sort of thing. My 1300 is actually sort of a ***** in parking lots for its size - it has a raked front end and it took some getting used to. But after a few 13 point turns, I got the hang of it. hahaha.

What the hell, I may just go buy the **** thing. I appreciate your quick responses, everyone. seems like a good forum to be a member of. Look for me soon with pics of the new beast.

You won't have a problem I had a Wildstar for a while ......... one life just go for it !!;)

Back