What gas octane do you use on the R3?

Freightbusters

Supercharged
Ok time to fess up or gas up????

what octane do you use??????? for get what the book says...

I used regular gas today and ran like a rabbit not a problem......bypass,tors and Triumph Tune..........:)

Mid grade. Never Exxon/Mobil (boycott in place). Used low grade a few times and felt a performance drop (whether real or imagined). I've used 94 a few times and found a significant boost. But the gouge in my wallet led me back to mid grade.

Boycott Exxon/Mobil and Esso: If everyone were to boycott Exxon/Mobil and Esso the theory is that prices will go down. Hit the big boys where it hurts. There's no effect in the one day boycott of all brands. You simply fill up the day before to get you through the one day boycott.

Cheap **** here also. With our whimpy compression ratios and ignition timing, there's no need for any higher octane. Paid $3.09 per gallon this morning..

Cheap **** here also...:rolleyes: With our whimpy compression ratios and ignition timing, there's no need for any higher octane. Paid $3.09 per gallon this morning..

Me

I run 93, and usually only Chevron or Shell when I can just because I like there gas not because of boycott.

Hey HeR3tic, That is a nice theory (boycotting Exxon/mobile) BUT!! there is a big hole in that theory. While your passing up there pumps and going to the other guy or especially the discount stations (here they are race track, Shamrock) to get your gas think of this. Were do you think they get there gas? Mostly Exxon Mobile. So your still buying gas from them you just don't now it. Also, You'll like this. All crud (Well most crud) goes into a common storage facility and each company draws what they contributed takes it to there refinery whips up there own gas recipe and sells it. So if say we all start buying gas say from Shell and they start running low on crud what do you think they do?? They go to Exxon/mobile and say hey can I buy a couple million barrels from you. So you see you can't get around it, one way or another they are selling there crud, either to us as gas or to the other guy as crud. They just laugh at these theory’s. The one they really laughed at was the (don’t buy gas on Wed. thing) because they new we’d be there on Thur.

Since I'm rambling let me throw my 2 cents in on the gas theory (I have no evidence to support what I'm talking about here but I think It might be close) Ok here it goes. Why do you think we pay so high gas prices when we have more oil now than we did 50 years ago?? Yes the government wont let the oil company’s build more refineries and the ones they have are mostly working at around 94% and yes the hurricane hurt production big time (but we didn’t see prices this high when it hit) so demand is high. No I don't know if the government is in on this so they can get more money but “I” think oil company’s are driving up prices in hopes of pressuring the American people to let the oil company’s drill in places we have placed as off limits to them Like Alaska. They think if gas gets high enough we will say screw it we need the oil go drill it.

So that’s my theory the oil company’s want access to places we are guarding and they want it so they are trying to pressure us with high gas prices. So the way I see it
1) the government needs to let them build more refinery’s to help with demand
2) We drill in Alaska.
3) We occupy Venezuela (they hate us any ways) and take there oil. For those of you who never been there they pay about 65 cents a gallon. I filled a rental car for 10$. Reminded me of my high school days.:D

Always 93 octane... only Exxon or Shell for quality.

When serious, I also add a little nitropropane and Toluene to the mix. ;)

Last edited:
I run 89, have thought about trying 87 with the low compression the R3 runs. I used to try to run only Amoco, [Remember white gas?] but now I think they were aquired by BP.

I had to run E-85 a few times on my last trip to Sturgis. Talk about SUCK. Definitely could feel the power difference and my MPG dropped signifcantly also.

Back