Way to fix tire iron dents from shop?

Took my Kawasaki tire to be mounted at a local bike shop a few years ago. I already had the tire, the rear, and it cost me $45 to have them put it on, did a good job and greased the axel and all.
The next year I took the front tire in and they charged me $65!
This last spring I took the same front tire to a different shop because it had a slow leak somewhere. $85!!!! I'm done with that. I'll have to learn the tricks to do my own.
When I was younger, I had no qualms replacing my own tires on the Honda 750.

There's a current thread going on changing tires. I can tell you that rear is a son of a gun (not what you'll be say'n). After this experience I may just try to take it on again. There's a few members who seem to have it down- check that thread.

Well, just came back from getting my rear tire mounted. Thought I'd try a new shop. This one wanted $35 to mount and balance if I brought the wheel in, but of course they couldn't balance it. They scratched and dented my rims with the tire tool. I saw them struggling with their machine and thought I should check. They were sorry, blah, blah, blah..... What's done is done.

I did better with hand tools myself the one time I got the rear off, but I thought I got off lucky not butchering the rims and should take it to the "pros." I've used two other shops in the past with no significant problems, but these guys left traces of their "work" in several places (see photo of one). This is why I work on my own bikes.

There's a thread going on now on replacing your own tires. I'm good with the front and both tires on my '98 Thunderbird Sport, but that rear is something else. I guess I'll give it another go myself next time. I'm already having to balance the tires, since no one in my area can handle that.

So, back to my issue. I'm wondering how to minimize the tire iron dents- they're small but if every time I get new tires this happens (about 2x/year, **** this bike goes through rubber) they'll be trashed in two or three years. I know I can't eliminate them, but can I sand them down to smooth out the dings?

Anyone have any experience here or sage advice they'd mind sharing? I'd appreciate it. IMG_3410.JPG

Oh Man I’d be pissed...no way you must accept that. It clearly appalling workmanship and they should resolve it.

Hummm, well none of this stuff would happen "IF" Triumph had designed a better rear wheel for the Roadster. Needs more drop in the center. I get my friend with a tire shop to do mine, after I did one myself, and although he doesn't ask for anything, I always stick a $20 in his pocket. And he does a good job, but it takes at least 2 people, and a bit of time to "finesse" the tire off and on. It is such a pain, even with a professional machine, it almost makes me embarrassed to bring it in to him.

Well, just came back from getting my rear tire mounted. Thought I'd try a new shop. This one wanted $35 to mount and balance if I brought the wheel in, but of course they couldn't balance it. They scratched and dented my rims with the tire tool. I saw them struggling with their machine and thought I should check. They were sorry, blah, blah, blah..... What's done is done.

I did better with hand tools myself the one time I got the rear off, but I thought I got off lucky not butchering the rims and should take it to the "pros." I've used two other shops in the past with no significant problems, but these guys left traces of their "work" in several places (see photo of one). This is why I work on my own bikes.

There's a thread going on now on replacing your own tires. I'm good with the front and both tires on my '98 Thunderbird Sport, but that rear is something else. I guess I'll give it another go myself next time. I'm already having to balance the tires, since no one in my area can handle that.

So, back to my issue. I'm wondering how to minimize the tire iron dents- they're small but if every time I get new tires this happens (about 2x/year, **** this bike goes through rubber) they'll be trashed in two or three years. I know I can't eliminate them, but can I sand them down to smooth out the dings?

Anyone have any experience here or sage advice they'd mind sharing? I'd appreciate it. IMG_3410.JPG

There are automotive shops that repair aluminum rims and can also refinish them by resurfacing with diamond cutters. A lot of high end wheels on BMW and Porsche quality cars are so expensive to replace that refinishing makes economic sense. Do a google search. They can make mangled and gouged wheels look and roll like new.

Good luck...had similar issue with installer damage to my Valkyrie rear wheel back in 2009. Really sucks to have to deal with this. It’s a tough problem to get a dealer to admit to the damage let alone remedy it. They always blame you. Good pictures before are mandatory even if you trust the installer.

Ride it. Lesson learned. Do it yourself. Check out the No-Mar tire changers. Expensive for a manual unit.

I used a fine file on mine. Then wet/dry sand paper. The aluminum rims are very soft.

Thanks @Jag that's what I need right now. I plan to go slow.

Everyone is right about my right to fight it and it wasn't too long ago that I would. But, it's a small-time shop and fighting it would only end up going to small claims, which I learned a long time ago is an absolute waste of time.

Back