Azisbest

Turbocharged
Ride
2020 GT
With a bit over 500 miles on my 15 touring it is in the shop under warranty for an oil leak that turned out to be a head gasket. Today marks the third week since they have had my bike and the latest delay is that supposedly they are waiting on the head gasket that has not arrived from Triumph as yet. Is this typical? Keep in mind that this is the busy season in the deserts of Arizona so that is part of the issue I am sure. But I can't help but wonder if much of the delay is because I did not buy my bike from this particular dealer (the dealer I bought it from in a 1000 miles away). What has been everyone's experience? Do dealers tend to treat folks who bought their bikes from other dealers like the prototypical red headed step child?

Most dealers, auto or motorcycle, give preference to customers that purchased the ride at their dealership. Some give priority service, others lower service rates.

As for the head gasket, many reports of them leaking here on the forums. I believe most made the repair themselves though. *Ignore this bunk... I wasn't thinking totally straight at 1:30am*

Of course dealers are going to give priority to loyal customers over walk ins, might be getting a wee bit confused with saying most people replace the head gasket them selfs the cam cover gasket yes head gasket is a wee bit harder.

Last edited:
Every dealer is different, and it all comes down to conscientious mechanics being hard to come by in this increasingly digital world. The mechanic is far more important than where the bike was purchased.

I purchased the hardcopy shop manual with my bike, and I take the bike and the manual to a Honda shop where I trust their work.

I've ordered miscellaneous parts from Bike Bandit in which the parts was not in stock and it takes about 3 weeks for me to receive them. Have to wait on Triumph to ship them out. It just about makes since to order two of everything in routine service parts so that you'll have it on hand.

call the parts dep. at the same shop find out how long for a gasket to get in,then check a few other shops in town

So no one is particularly surprised at the three week (and growing) delay given my circumstance?

Not really. There is not enough business for the vast majority of the dealers to stock Rocket parts.

A number of folks here who work on the bikes in the States use Hermy's Triumph in Port Clinton, PA

I have ordered parts there, and then taken them to the Honda mechanic and he does the work, when I don't do it.

Not a problem for service with my local Triumph dealer since it is the only one in Maine (and I bought it there)... I really haven't had problems with other local dealers on my other motorcycle brands but have had some friends that did (not many though). Friends with snowmobiles have had some serious problems with dealers who delayed or refused to do warranty work on sleds bought elsewhere. Arctic Cat finally had to tell one of the local dealers to stop the crap or lose the franchise!

Friday night while riding home the weather had warmed up a lot. So much that the roads were sweating which resulted in a interesting ride home combined with high winds. A police officer cut me off while answering a call which resulted in a hard brake on my part. That is when I noticed that the back brakes were not working at all. I never use my back brake on a regular stop but this was not a regular situation. So saturday morning I got up and checked it out. New brake pads about a month ago so they were fine. Then we pressed the brake pedal down a few times and felt no resistance. The back brakes have always been soft but never really was concerned about it. Got to thinking about it and hooked up a clear tube to the bleed and used one of the wife's glasses with some brake fluid (bad call on my part and got *****ed at)and proceeded to bleed the back brake. It became very obvious that air in the system was the problem (from the factory) Now I have very nice back brakes. If I had taken this problem to a dealer they would still have the bike and here in Oklahoma would probably still be in the process of troubleshooting. My experience with dealerships in Oklahoma has been horrible. I would not even trust them with checking the tire pressure much less anything else with the bike. A service manual and a bit of common sense can save you a lot of grief.;);););););)

Back