Valve shim removal tool

I just built a valve shim removal tool following Rocket Scientist's drawing. It worked great after I realized it went on the inboard side, not outboard side of the cam.:banghead:
After I install the new shim, I assume I rotate the engine backwards rather than slowly loosening the cam ladder bolt to reseat the cam onto the shim?

Thanks

Glad it worked for you. You are correct, roll the cam lobe back into contact with the shim until there is no load on the tool, then loosen the cam ladder bolt to remove it.

Doing that operation scared me, I was so afraid of cracking the ladder from the uneven stress, and reading in the manual that a cracked ladder requires the purchase of a new head as the parts are mated.

Doing that operation scared me, I was so afraid of cracking the ladder from the uneven stress, and reading in the manual that a cracked ladder requires the purchase of a new head as the parts are mated.

Due to numerous success stories using the tool, it would appear removing ladder bolts one at a time to install / remove the tool, poses no risk to the ladder. However rotating the cam on a bucket with the shim removed, will knock a chunk out of the bucket. Don't do that. I was trying to see if it could be done by turning the engine slowly with a socket on the crank bolt. As one of cams went over the lobe, the engine lurched forward using up the free play in my ratchet. It would have been nice if it would have worked, that way if you had more than one out of spec, you could have taken them all out and miced them before making a trip to the dealer. I always bring my micrometer to the dealer because there is quite a bit of variance in shim thickness between what is etched on the shim, and it's actual size.

Glad it worked for you. You are correct, roll the cam lobe back into contact with the shim until there is no load on the tool, then loosen the cam ladder bolt to remove it.

Thanks for the help! The first one is done. I moved to the aft cyl exhaust valves and was about to give up on the aft most one when the shim finally popped out. Very close tolerance against the aft rim of the head.

Back