USA 4 Corners Tour Report: May/June 2010

dandiego

Turbocharged
Ride
2009 R3T
I hope this amuses or helps someone.
Dan Diego's USA 4 Corners Tour Report

I completed the USA 4 Corners Tour on Monday, June 6, 2010, when I rolled into Key West, Florida, 7,000 miles after I left home at Midnight on May 25. The goal of the ride was to visit each of the four geographical corners of the lower 48 states within 21 days. In any order, the four official checkpoints are:
·San Ysidro, California
·Blaine, Washington
·Madawaska, Maine
·Key West, Florida
I was on the road since midnight on May 25, when I departed San Ysidro. After completing a 1,000-mile ride the first day (to Albany, OR, in 18 hours), I stopped by the other three corners, averaging about 500 miles a day. Typical for this time of year, I encountered a "little weather” along the way. I ran into rain in the Pacific Northwest and New England, and heat in the Southeast and Southwest. The weather varied between sweltering and chilly as I went through the northern states to reach Sault Sainte Marie where I crossed into Canada.

I rode almost 1,000 miles though Canada, stopping overnight in Montreal. Brushing up on French terms definitely came in handy. I crossed back into the US at Ft. Kent, Maine. I arrived to Madawaska – my 3rd corner – just a few minutes later where I joined a friend and fellow Southern California rider; having left San Ysidro 8 hours before I did, he arrived in Madawaska via Canada just 2 hours before me. We checked into Madawaska's finest motel (Martin’s) then hit the only bar in town. “Chug a Mug” is the last of 27 bars standing after the economy devastated local businesses. There was no shortage of characters there and all were Acadians—a French/ Indian mix that resides along the St. Johns River. These warm, wonderful people impressed me as excellent representatives of Madawaskans, Mainers, Acadians and Americans in general.

Notes: Do NOT drink whatever the locals put in front of you—even if it's free—if you have an early day and a long ride ahead of you the next day. The 4 Corners Tour is a big part of Madawaska and the locals have gone all out in putting together a really beautiful memorial for the riders who have undertaken this ride.

It rained gently for the next 2 days. I stayed with friends in Augusta as my bike was serviced (tires and an oil change) at the Triumph dealer. Blue Knights folks supported me along the way—in Michigan, Maine and Florida. The next day I headed to Raleigh, NC, 650 miles away. A series of questionable routes turned a 650-mile 10-hour day into an 820-mile 14-hour day. I rolled into Raleigh after 11 PM on June 3rd.

An easy 700-mile ride landed me at my mother-in-law's house in Tampa, FL, late on June 4th. I left for Key West on the morning of June 6th. A leisurely 450-mile ride brought me to Key West by 1 PM. I was fortunate to enjoy nice weather while in Florida. By nice, I mean it was sweltering, hot and humid—but no lightening or thunder showers. I snapped the obligatory "southernmost point" photo, thus completing my USA 4 Corners ride.

I had travelled 7,032 miles in 12 days. It was then just a matter of 3,000 miles back to San Diego via the Southwest. I settled on an Iron Butt Saddle Sore 2000—two consecutive 1,000-mile days. Leaving Tampa on June 8, I enjoyed an easy ride to Houston, Texas, in about 15 hours. The weather cooperated and the I-10 Westbound was easy-going. In Houston, I rested overnight while it stormed. I started off the second 1,000-mile ride the next day. That’s when the weather changed.

I encountered rain, wind, thunder, lightning — and more rain — between Houston and San Antonio. I’m used to riding in difficult weather and rain rarely if ever stops me from making forward progress. This time, however, good sense prevailed over a need for speed and I waited at a gas station while the storm passed. Wind gusts, heavy traffic, construction and more bad weather conspired to keep me in Texas. I passed through another time zone as I rolled toward Tucson. Very tired, I tried all the tricks I knew to remain alert. Singing loudly to myself did little to keep me awake as I rode through long stretches of desert highway in the warm night air. Unlucky lizards and an occasional cactus were the only witnesses to a full-volume, off-key “Louie, Louie” at 1 AM. I rolled into a Chevron station at 1 AM where the clerk witnessed the necessary forms. I caught 4 hours of much-needed sleep next to my bike before pushing on to San Diego. By noon on June 10, I arrived home, tired but in high spirits, pleased to have completed such and enjoyable ride. I’d seen some beautiful parts of the country, and met the fabric of America, from the back of a steel horse. Hmm. Where shall I ride next?
The Good, the Bad and the Unleaded:

·9,864: # of miles completed from start to finish.
·7,032: # of miles ridden during the USA 4 Corners Tour.
·27: # of US states passed through during ride.
·956: # of miles ridden through Canada.
·3: # of law enforcement encounters.
·0: # of speeding tickets.
·0: # of accidents.
·6+: # of “close calls.”
·1: # of times I ran out of gas at 80 MPH and coasted to a gas station conveniently off the I-10.
The Gear:
·2009 Triumph Rocket III Touring: 2294 cc’s/140 cubic inches of good-looking, road-eating motorcycle.
·Aerostich RoadCrafter riding suit: The “Stich” is costly but worth every penny. It was little hot in Florida and Texas and not quite warm enough in Michigan and Montana, but a necessary piece of riding gear.
·Sidi Canyon Gore-Tex boots: Again, costly but well worth it. My feet were comfortable and dry the entire time. Never too hot or too cold. Great gear for the serious rider.
·Custom-made saddle: I am often asked if my butt hurts after such a long ride. The answer is always "no" due mainly to the $$ I invested in a quality, comfortable seat. It looks like a big, blue marshmallow but works well!
·Cardo-Scala Q2 helmet BlueTooth set: Allows the rider to answer phone calls and listen to music while rolling down the road at…a reasonable rate of speed. One of my favorite pieces of riding equipment.
·Custom Accessories deer alert whistles (2): Maybe nothing more than superstition, but I hit none of the many, many deer I passed along the way. Plus, they were “chrome.”

Great report!! I saw you and one other Rocket Captain listed on the start sheet for the 4 Corners ride and wondered who they were. Congrats on a magnificent journey. Something that I want to do sometime.

Question about your music source. What was it and did you have it bluetoothed to the headset? I have a Q2 and a Sat Radio source but no bluetooth connection between the two.

Also, did you have some sort of throttle lock, cramp buster, cruise control?

Glad you enjoyed it, and good questions.

I used a Kaoko throttle lock. It is what it is. It did the trick, but no throttle control is much good in heavy or stop-n-go traffic. I like that it's great on wide open highways and looks as if it was made by Triumph for this bike.

I bought an iPod-style music machine--a 120GB Microsoft Zune. I have over 12,000 songs on it and pipe it into my helmet via a Cardo-Scala set-up. Very nice and it shuts off when a phone call comes in. The music really helped during those long stretches.

I didn't mention that I used a Zeus 508 modular helmet. Perfect for long distance road touring and those hot, muggy rides .

Thanks for asking!

Dan

Yeah, the Q2 and the new G4 are both bluetooth capable. It's the source that is the challenge. No players, iPod, Zune, or otherwise, have built in bluetooth transmitters.

anyway, back on topic. I'm really impressed that you completed the 4 corner challenge. I just did my first SS1000 and BB1500 in May. The 4 corner tour is something to plan for in the next year or two.

Wow.. what a great trip!.. I believe the storm you rode through in Texas was the same one that killed one person in New Braunfels, and went up into Arkansas and killed 20 or so people up, judging by your dates.. That was a rough storm!.. :)

It was quite a ride. And the three 1,000-mile days were a blast, too. All in all, though, I'm more of a "ride" guy and less of a "destination" rider.

This was was 7th major bike ride but I didn't see near as much of the country as my last rides. I think I'll be taking the next couple of rides a little slower and see some of the countryside instead of just rolling over the asphalt.

(The IronButt guys will probably hate me for saying that!)

I'd still recommend the 4 Corners and the Iron Butt 1,000 and 1,500 mile rides to anyone.

Be safe out there, fellas.

Back