TuneBoy versus PowerCommander III

HeR3tic

Living Legend
I will be installing a Cat By-pass (OEM silencer upgrade) with stock mufflers. I'm confused as to what is better: TuneBoy versus Power Commander III. I've seen a side by side comparison, provided by a TuneBoy reseller. That alone should steer me that direction; but, I'm not convinced.

At this time the perceived need for either is whether or not the ECM will readily adapt to this modest upgrade, I'm not interested in a different sound, with no more than the simple 12-minute tune. At the same time I'm distressed by the rev limitation. I'm not a hot rodder but I do like to open her up from time to time. I hear a lot of comments about the 1st and 2nd gear restrictions as well. And how much more giddy up and go is truly available. I'm not interested in premature tire replacement either but from a rolling start I want to be the one restricting the power application.

Q: neither the rev limiter nor the 1st and 2nd gear restrictions can be altered with the PCIII. TRUE or FALSE???
Q: the 12-minute tune will resolve ECM conflict(s) with only CAT by-pass mod. TRUE or FALSE.
Q: Which set-up enables the greatest bang for the buck. Please expound.

Is there something similar to, http://www.powercommander.com/maps/install/PCIIIUSB_User_Guide.pdf
for the TuneBoy. I'm rather sure there is, I just haven't been successful in Google'ng it yet. In other words, were I interested in experimental map configurations (tinkering) I could make similar tabulated adjustments via a GUI. Or is the idea out range for a no-nothing.

it's material world after all

And what is it that you have with TuneBoy? A license to software along with a USB data cable interface? Puts me in mind of Time-Sharing versus a 35 year old split entry home in the burbs.

Last edited:
Q: neither the rev limiter nor the 1st and 2nd gear restrictions can be altered with the PCIII. TRUE or FALSE???
Q: the 12-minute tune will resolve ECM conflict(s) with only CAT by-pass mod. TRUE or FALSE.
Q: Which set-up enables the greatest bang for the buck. Please expound.

#1 True

#2 None of the above, the 12 minute tune wipes the short and long term fuel trims so the bike can relearn them with the new set up. It does not necessarily resolve anything.

#3 Both. With a PCIII you can go to any Dynojet tuner and get a custom fuel map. With a Tuneboy, good luck finding someone. There are plenty of Tuneboy tunes out there to get you in the ball park though. The Tuneboy site is a good place to start, then the Trading Tunes section here. With the Tuneboy you can open the secondaries 100% of the time, advance timing in 1st and 2nd gears, correct the speedo, change the rev limiter, run diagnostics and so forth.

Keep in mind it is helpful to have a lap top or a computer close to your bike with Tuneboy. You are buying a license and a cable. You can down load the software and tunes for free now from their site and play with it on your computer.

http://www.tuneboy.com.au/index.htm

Go spend some time in the trading tunes section and see what you think. There is some good discussion there.

#1 True

#2 None of the above, the 12 minute tune wipes the short and long term fuel trims so the bike can relearn them with the new set up. It does not necessarily resolve anything.

#3 Both. With a PCIII you can go to any Dynojet tuner and get a custom fuel map. With a Tuneboy, good luck finding someone. There are plenty of Tuneboy tunes out there to get you in the ball park though. The Tuneboy site is a good place to start, then the Trading Tunes section here. With the Tuneboy you can open the secondaries 100% of the time, advance timing in 1st and 2nd gears, correct the speedo, change the rev limiter, run diagnostics and so forth.

Keep in mind it is helpful to have a lap top or a computer close to your bike with Tuneboy. You are buying a license and a cable. You can down load the software and tunes for free now from their site and play with it on your computer.

http://www.tuneboy.com.au/index.htm

Go spend some time in the trading tunes section and see what you think. There is some good discussion there.

So therein is the decision maker: PCIII does not resolve these issue. I'm I reading you right:confused:

I'm having wireless issues. intraNet fouled since 6.0 upgrade.

Would have said duh to my own follow up. You already said "True" to #1.

Last edited:
Yeah! The student administering a test to the teacher. Thanks for your expertise. I've visited the Trading Tunes. Too much one sided. Should tell me something:rolleyes:

Back