Tune ECU not connecting to VAG COM USB

Mick114

.020 Over
Ride
2009 Classic
Anyone have experience with this cable working for them?

With the supplied instructions I was able to easily download the driver for it - laptop immediately recognized it - I was able to change the Port settings as directed, I then downloaded the vcds lite file, following the instructions, I changed the port settings to Port 1, ran the "lite" test that confirmed there was communication through the cable (so it claimed) but Tune ECU shows an error connecting. I am getting the intermittent flash of red in the lower right corner of the Tune ECU home screen - depicted below in the red circled area. I have ordered another cable - loneloc - but I'd like to figure out what I'm missing with this one. FYI - there is a PC V attached, that is working accordingly. To confirm all avenues, I unplugged the PC V, connected the ECU harness in its original factory state and tried to connect with negative results. I'd like to make sure the Tune ECU settings are not contradicting the PC V - which is a whole other animal - but first things first. Thanks in advance for the help. ( I should add there was no issue installing Tune ECU on Windows 10 Pro. )

Mick
s-l1600.jpg
Screenshot_2020-05-19 USB cable for Triumph Motorcycles TuneECU FTDI FT232RL Chip OBD II KTM T...png

Last edited:
Anyone have experience with this cable working for them?

With the supplied instructions I was able to easily download the driver for it - laptop immediately recognized it - I was able to change the Port settings as directed, I then downloaded the vcds lite file, following the instructions, I changed the port settings to Port 1, ran the "lite" test that confirmed there was communication through the cable (so it claimed) but Tune ECU shows an error connecting. I am getting the intermittent flash of red in the lower right corner of the Tune ECU home screen - depicted below in the red circled area. I have ordered another cable - loneloc - but I'd like to figure out what I'm missing with this one. FYI - there is a PC V attached, that is working accordingly. To confirm all avenues, I unplugged the PC V, connected the ECU harness in its original factory state and tried to connect with negative results. I'd like to make sure the Tune ECU settings are not contradicting the PC V - which is a whole other animal - but first things first. Thanks in advance for the help. ( I should add there was no issue installing Tune ECU on Windows 10 Pro. )

Mick
s-l1600.jpg
Screenshot_2020-05-19 USB cable for Triumph Motorcycles TuneECU FTDI FT232RL Chip OBD II KTM T...png

I've got years of IT work under my belt forcing me to ask these questions:

Did you (in order):
0) computer on, bike off, key in bike turned to 'off'
1) Plug Cable into computer, this can be funny because sometimes different permissions are given to different USB ports. Mainly a problem for older laptops, but I've dealt with stranger things before.
2) Plug Cable into bike (push that thing on there. Mine likes to fall off/out.)
3) Open TuneECU on computer
4) Turn key to "on"
5) Flip the power switch on bike to "on" and hear noises of bits on the bike booting up
6) Give computer a few seconds (15-20sec) to figure out life and have a good think about what color it wants to flash in the corner.

Because I usually have to tell myself those steps, and I usually end up failing the task of PUSH THAT F#&$ING PLUG ONTO THE FEMALE OF THE BIKE. I don't know what happened to my setup, but apparently it will disconnect if a butterfly sneezes within range. Quite annoying, but that's my go-to.

It is almost certainly the driver. I have a VAG cable and one day it stopped working after the driver updated automatically via feckin M-Soft. I have the old one hidden away on a PC that cannot update - it has no external connection to anything. Can't get to it at the mo' though. It's at a mates (with an R3) and COVID stops me getting to it.

I have Windows 10 and my cable looks very similar to the one shown. I find it will not connect to the ECU if I have Tuneecu running and then turn the the key/run switches on. I have to have the key/runswitches on first and then start Tuneecu and it will connect every time.

I've got years of IT work under my belt forcing me to ask these questions:

Did you (in order):
0) computer on, bike off, key in bike turned to 'off'
1) Plug Cable into computer, this can be funny because sometimes different permissions are given to different USB ports. Mainly a problem for older laptops, but I've dealt with stranger things before.
2) Plug Cable into bike (push that thing on there. Mine likes to fall off/out.)
3) Open TuneECU on computer
4) Turn key to "on"
5) Flip the power switch on bike to "on" and hear noises of bits on the bike booting up
6) Give computer a few seconds (15-20sec) to figure out life and have a good think about what color it wants to flash in the corner.

Because I usually have to tell myself those steps, and I usually end up failing the task of PUSH THAT F#&$ING PLUG ONTO THE FEMALE OF THE BIKE. I don't know what happened to my setup, but apparently it will disconnect if a butterfly sneezes within range. Quite annoying, but that's my go-to.

brsmits,

Awesome advice, I have done that in that order. I’m using a surface pro with windows 10 pro, it only has one USB port. It thinks and thinks and then decides it can’t communicate. And I get the red flashy F U in the corner and then the connection error message.

I have Windows 10 and my cable looks very similar to the one shown. I find it will not connect to the ECU if I have Tuneecu running and then turn the the key/run switches on. I have to have the key/runswitches on first and then start Tuneecu and it will connect every time.
BC

Awesome advice, I have not tried that direction of connecting yet. Can’t hurt to try it. Thanks.

Back