Trouble shooting electric fan

I had my R3 Classic to the Tulsa shop a few years back for some repair covered by ‘the other guys insurance’.
They told me ‘we calibrated your fuel tank level sensor’.
Ok cool.... I leave, fill the tank, ride it 100 miles to the house. Tanks still full... either my mileage is wayyyyyy up, or...

I pull the tank, pull the float assembly, it’s in there BACKWARDS! Reading full all the time because it’s not moving against the tank.

So I call em up ‘Hey, guess what!’
Oh sorry, that ‘tech’ isn’t here today.

Ya... well when he gets back in fire him!

Bastids

I received a call from the service manager awhile ago and he was very apologetic. He said they seek to provide top quality service and the tech could not understand how this happened because he did not need to disconnect the fan to do the work. He had to remove the tank to deinstall the alarm and couldn't figure out why the fan had been disconnected. The only thing he could think of was that perhaps the tech might have either bumped or pulled on the connector during the process.

The manager told me that they were there do provide me any assistance or advice. I told him I was sure I could get at it and he said that they hate to see me having to work on my bike after they did. He offered to send a truck trailer to my house to pick it up and return it to the shop to get it right. It is a about 55 miles and a 30 minute ferry ride. He said they didn't care about that but rather that I being a satisfied customer was the most paramount.

OK. I'm good. It is a good dealership that made an error, was very contrite about it and wanted to make things right for me. It really is a cool looking shop, kind of an old school place and I must say I was treated very well back when the service was done.

I had my R3 Classic to the Tulsa shop a few years back for some repair covered by ‘the other guys insurance’.
They told me ‘we calibrated your fuel tank level sensor’.
Ok cool.... I leave, fill the tank, ride it 100 miles to the house. Tanks still full... either my mileage is wayyyyyy up, or...

I pull the tank, pull the float assembly, it’s in there BACKWARDS! Reading full all the time because it’s not moving against the tank.

So I call em up ‘Hey, guess what!’
Oh sorry, that ‘tech’ isn’t here today.

Ya... well when he gets back in fire him!

Bastids
They have screwed up that job on a lot of bikes. Funny the only time i took my bike to a shop was just to have the back tire replaced. Took it to OKC and 5 hours later they finished the job. Got home and found that the passenger pegs were installed upside down. Folded the wrong direction. When it came time to replace the back tire found that they had over torqued the axle and had stripped out the bolts holding the passenger rails. Called the shop and sent them pictures of everything they screwed up. They told me that they had fired the individual and that was about it. Rode by the place one time and stopped in. The individual was still working there and had never been fired. The shop in Tulsa is a joke. The guy who is running the place is a crook. He likes to leave you with a warm and fuzzy while reaching into your back pocket. At least by learning how to work on the bike myself any screws ups are my fault. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Wanted to close the post with an update. The fan relay, third relay from front left side bike under seat behind cover was the fault. And was not necessary to remove radiator to test fan, could have reached fan connector by removing frame cover under gas tank on right side to reach fan connector from main harness.

Doing so did give opportunity to replace stock water hoses, which on a 13 year old bike was the right thing to do. Ten minute tune complete and short test drive revealed no leaks, will top off and reinstall body covers tomorrow. Thanks for all input received.

Back