Trouble shooting electric fan

Hey! The Triumph is the only bike Ive had that has (had) that safety screw.i researched coolant and I use zerex g5.

Use the tuneecu fan test. If it works, then the bulb in the head is bad.

I had a similar problem , turned out to be the coolant temp sender . Five minutes to replace it but a lot longer to actually get to the little bastard !
I’m running into asame situation.
Have the tank up, reservoir off, looking for the coolant temp sensor. Read that it’s on the left side of the cylinder head up front???

Fan relay checks good, haven’t located the fan connector yet to appt 12 volts.

Am I correct on the coolant sensor location?
What else might I have to pull to get to it without going too far?

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m running into asame situation.
Have the tank up, reservoir off, looking for the coolant temp sensor. Read that it’s on the left side of the cylinder head up front???

Fan really checks good, haven’t located the fan connector yet to appt 12 volts.

Am I correct on the coolant sensor location?
What else might I have to pull to get to it without going too far?

Hang on I got a engine in the basement I'll get a picture its right by the thermostat housing. Be right back.

Here ya go you can just see the brass hex the arrow is pointing to. That black hose is s the breather hose from the top of the oil tank to the engine case in front.
20190405_194923.jpg

Here ya go you can just see the brass hex the arrow is pointing to. That black hose is s the breather hose from the top of the oil tank to the engine case in front.
20190405_194923.jpg
Good deal thanks!
Looks like I’ll be getting to know the bike a little more, with the oil tank pull and maybe the throttle body. Pretty tight in there.

Put 12v to the fan, works. Have continuity from the batt to one side of the relay, and from the fan connector to the other side of the relay.
Noticed that the coil legs on the relay are setup with a diode. Important troubleshooting on the relay, the coil leads read open in one direction, about 3megohms the other way across due to the diode effect.
Anyway, same relay as the fuel pump and ecm relays right next to it. Quickly swappable for testing.
All looks good other than the unknown condition of the sensor.
Hermly’s etriumph store has one fairly reasonable.
And the bikes due for an oil change anyway.

This all started on the first fire up last week. Let it idle awhile, coolant coming out of the cap.... replaced the cap, same deal.
Realized the fans not kicking on....a,b,c,d and here I am.
Beats finding out about it on the side of the road somewhere
Cheers!

Good deal thanks!
Looks like I’ll be getting to know the bike a little more, with the oil tank pull and maybe the throttle body. Pretty tight in there.

Put 12v to the fan, works. Have continuity from the batt to one side of the relay, and from the fan connector to the other side of the relay.
Noticed that the coil legs on the relay are setup with a diode. Important troubleshooting on the relay, the coil leads read open in one direction, about 3megohms the other way across due to the diode effect.
Anyway, same relay as the fuel pump and ecm relays right next to it. Quickly swappable for testing.
All looks good other than the unknown condition of the sensor.
Hermly’s etriumph store has one fairly reasonable.
And the bikes due for an oil change anyway.

This all started on the first fire up last week. Let it idle awhile, coolant coming out of the cap.... replaced the cap, same deal.
Realized the fans not kicking on....a,b,c,d and here I am.
Beats finding out about it on the side of the road somewhere
Cheers!

Do you have tune ecu?

I'm watching this thread closely. While I haven't ridden my Touring much since I had the coolant changed at the dealership, it occurred to me that Ive not heard the fan kick on since I had the service done. I ran it for about 12 minutes last week and I didn't't kick on. I'll start the troubleshooting process in the morning.

It came on regularly before I took it to the dealership and after Claviger dropped the turn on temp by a few degrees

I'm watching this thread closely. While I haven't ridden my Touring much since I had the coolant changed at the dealership, it occurred to me that Ive not heard the fan kick on since I had the service done. I ran it for about 12 minutes last week and I didn't't kick on. I'll start the troubleshooting process in the morning.

It came on regularly before I took it to the dealership and after Claviger dropped the turn on temp by a few degrees

I wonder did they disconnect the fan connector when doing the coolant change, for some reason

If one has TuneECU or Tuneboy or Triumph diagnostics this fault finding process is so much quicker

Back