Trouble shooting electric fan

I wonder did they disconnect the fan connector when doing the coolant change, for some reason

If one has TuneECU or Tuneboy or Triumph diagnostics this fault finding process is so much quicker

Checking the fan connector is where I will start and I'm hoping that is it.. it wouldn't surprise me. I have Tune ECU but we couldn't get my laptop to interface with my ECU while @Claviger and @1olbull were here helping me out. Fortunately Rob had brought his laptop so used it to download the new tune after installing the Viking crossover pipe

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be the bike did not run long enough sometimes 12 min’s is not long enough to turn fan on.

Might be the bike did not run long enough sometimes 12 min’s is not long enough to turn fan on.

Was also thinking that might be it. The fan on my O7 started at about 10 minutes but cannot recall at what point my T fan started. Rob dropped the kick in temp about 10 degrees as I recall. I'm hoping it's the connector

Well it didn't take long to find the problem. I decided to have a quick look this evening to see if I could find the fan connector but had to search to find the cable and realized it was at the top of the fan with the wire running behind the right side neck/frame cover. I removed the two screws holding the cover and this is what I found.
Radiator fan connector.jpg

Isn't this just special? Triumph of Seattle sent me on my way with a $481 bill, 8oz of fuel left in my fuel tank (that had over a quarter tank when I rode in), and a radiator fan connector connected to nothing. No wonder so many riders have decided to do their on work rather than pay a shop $130 an hour to screw things up. I just joined the do it yourself crew.

And I have no idea how wound up on the photo. Kind of spooky I think.

For coolant, I use Engine Ice. Used it on my previous bike, 2009 Kawasaki Nomad with 133,000 miles when I got rid of it for the R3T. It worked well for me.
I actually had my mechanic recommend and put this in shortly after I got my R3T while in Las Vegas. Never had an issue.
-MIG

Well it didn't take long to find the problem. I decided to have a quick look this evening to see if I could find the fan connector but had to search to find the cable and realized it was at the top of the fan with the wire running behind the right side neck/frame cover. I removed the two screws holding the cover and this is what I found.
Radiator fan connector.jpg

Isn't this just special? Triumph of Seattle sent me on my way with a $481 bill, 8oz of fuel left in my fuel tank (that had over a quarter tank when I rode in), and a radiator fan connector connected to nothing. No wonder so many riders have decided to do their on work rather than pay a shop $130 an hour to screw things up. I just joined the do it yourself crew.

And I have no idea how wound up on the photo. Kind of spooky I think.
Welcome to the club.;);););)

I've been unable to find the power side connector so will probably have to lift the tank. I'll remove the left side frame cover first to see if it is hiding somewhere under there. I just sent the dealership a critical message about their service failure noting that it could have damaged my engine had I not discovered it. It will be interesting to see their response.

Sonny, it's actually "welcome back" to the club. I used to do all of my service/maintenance & repair until I bought my BMW 1150 GS and then my 07 Classic. I started having the dealerships do the services, having never heard of a TPS and other components associated with an ECU/fuel injected bike. At my age I hate to start again but, here I go.

Last edited:
Sitting on the bike it is on the left hand side. Kind of a tight fit hooking it up. Wife's hands are much smaller than mine and she could get to it without lifting the tank. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Just had a passing thought am a roadster not tour may be different.

Sitting on the bike it is on the left hand side. Kind of a tight fit hooking it up. Wife's hands are much smaller than mine and she could get to it without lifting the tank. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Just had a passing thought am a roadster not tour may be different.

We crossed posts. Thanks for the tip.

It is not just Truimph dealerships that are good at doing shabby work. Seems like most dealerships hire semi experienced individual's at low wages and then push the individuals to get the job done quickly. Recipe for disaster. Maybe there are a few good shops out there but here in Oklahoma it is the nature of the beast. Answered a job posting for a motorcycle mechanic job in Tulsa. Starting wage was $12.50 hour. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Back