Trouble shifting into 2nd

Better idea

I sympathize with your pain. If your shop was a little resourceful and the part not complicated it could very well be custom made by any competent machine shop, probably for a small amount.

Better idea to me would be to scavenge the part off of one of the other Rockets on the showroom floor for the part I need.

The dealer can be inconvenienced instead of me....

Legally I am sure they cannot do it since the scavenged "new" bike would possibly lose it's warranty status? It's not the SAME bike as delivered to the dealer as "new".

The part they need is probably internal inside the engine cases and will require many hours of labor to replace. Triumph will only pay a warranty claim on one repair, which would be your bike. That means the dealer (or the mechanic himself) would have to eat the repair labor on the second bike the part was taken from. While the dealer is an agent for Triumph Motorcycles and should repair your bike under his dealership agreement with Triumph, he didn't design or build the bike and is under no obligation to subsidize Triumph's warranty obligations.

If it was an easy part to get to, he very well might do it. Also keep in mind that the reason the part may be on backorder is that is may have been redesigned or built by a different company so hopefully it won't fail again, and it just hasn't hit the shelves yet.

I know this means nothing to you and you want your bike back now, and I don't blame you. Triumph and your dealer didn't plan on this happening and I am very sure Triumph hates to pay out a single dollar on warranty claims. I could see them stealing this part from another bike if the backorder time becomes unreasonable, a customer goodwill situation so to speak. What is unreasonable?? I don't know, your state may have guidelines for that. If they did steal the part from another bike, it probably wouldn't be at the dealership level, but somewhere up the distribution food chain, maybe even steal one off of the assembly line.

No part yet but hope? Dunno yet.....

The part they need is probably internal inside the engine cases and will require many hours of labor to replace. Triumph will only pay a warranty claim on one repair, which would be your bike. That means the dealer (or the mechanic himself) would have to eat the repair labor on the second bike the part was taken from. While the dealer is an agent for Triumph Motorcycles and should repair your bike under his dealership agreement with Triumph, he didn't design or build the bike and is under no obligation to subsidize Triumph's warranty obligations.

If it was an easy part to get to, he very well might do it. Also keep in mind that the reason the part may be on backorder is that is may have been redesigned or built by a different company so hopefully it won't fail again, and it just hasn't hit the shelves yet.

I know this means nothing to you and you want your bike back now, and I don't blame you. Triumph and your dealer didn't plan on this happening and I am very sure Triumph hates to pay out a single dollar on warranty claims. I could see them stealing this part from another bike if the backorder time becomes unreasonable, a customer goodwill situation so to speak. What is unreasonable?? I don't know, your state may have guidelines for that. If they did steal the part from another bike, it probably wouldn't be at the dealership level, but somewhere up the distribution food chain, maybe even steal one off of the assembly line.

Very intelligent response. The dealer is willing to scavenge the part from one of the bikes on the showroom floor. The catch is getting Triumph to pay for the tear down and rebuild labor of the showroom bike. I am waiting for Triumph's response on that one.

The bike has been in the dealer since May 23rd and we still have no idea when the part I need will become available. I am guessing that we are waiting for another "production run" to get the part I need. I could possibly miss out on the entire Summer riding season.

Hopefully Triumph will step and pay the labor cost required to scavenge the dealer's showroom bike for the part I need.

Thanks for the intelligent response. Hopefully the track day I am doing this Sunday on the GSXR1000 will sooth my moto nerves for a moment. Would like to take a long cruise on the Rocket but cannot. :mad:

Another thought: Maybe your dealer could find a salvage bike with the part. I know Baxter Cycle runs a Hinkley Triumph salvage business... 712-781-2351, there are probably others too.

Back