2012cliff

Supercharged
Ride
2008 tour
I am wondering what would be a good option for touring. Canada has terrible roads and harsh highways. I need a shock that can absorb severe humps and bumps and deep holes. Not interested in performance racing but touring comfort.
I was on a major road trying to keep my cup in the holder. If it aint strapped down you'll loose it.

I have Hagons on mine. You tell them what you ride, how much you carry and they set valving springs to suite. They are fully adjustable.

I also have the Hagon Nitros on mine. Better than stock, but I haven't tried any others.

Progressive Suspension 444 HD is what I got for mine. The HD model is for 250 lbs and up, though they have one model now apparently with even stiffer springs (at least their web site quotes three models).

I'm very pleased with them, they swallow all the small bumps with barely a bump felt, and do a decent job of the big stuff also. The bike handles perfectly in the twisties also even with a full travel load. And they're hand adjustable, you grab the entire spring and turn it, it's threaded and is something like 12 turns between minimum and maximum preload.

Price wise, not outrageous; JC Motors (or just hit up Amazon) has them for $500-something.

For optimal results you probably also need to address your front shocks. Progressive makes springs that might help. There are also cartridge stuff or emulators, not sure what's best there.

I called Progressive they said the super h.d. shocks are only made for HD baggers.Anybody know the i.d. of the HD shocks?

@1olbull I have tried that it when you select (rate) the only choice are standard or heavy-duty. Or I am doing something wrong.

For those prices I will just mess with the preload on my factory shocks....I reckon they are fine for me.

Back