Toe, Heel gear shifter problem

Gasket said:
Wolfman, I do the stretch too but I just have to move all over the place so tucking both legs back is a must. Must be age.

Do you have a two piece heal/tow shifter which allows you to raise the toe without lowering the heal portion? It seems to me that I saw one of those. But also note the difference between Atm's (like what I have) and Bluemarlin's, of which you obviously can't cut off the rear.

You know, now that you mentioned it: The shifter on my BSA was a two part shifter. I forgot all about it. We had to adjust them whenever we reconfigured for race trim foot pegs. For you young guys... we didn't have the funds to own two bikes, one for the road and one for the track. So we carried bits and pieces, went to the race site the day before, set up a camp site and started ripping the ride apart. After the race we did everything in reverse. Not very efficient but we had a lot of fun and it made for many great weekends..

As for tucking your legs back on the passenger pegs. . . there is something to be said for age! It sucks! I did just that and as I came up to this stop sign I couldn't get my right leg back due to a cramp. I almost fell over. Very embarassing indeed. Since then I keep my hind paws in the front like any good geezer. But I do know what you mean. This is my first bike where I have my feet in front rather than below my body. I have been riding my R3 for almost one year and still am not fully comfortable with it. My biggest problem is that when I come up to an unavoidable pot hole, I can't react fast enough to get my weight off my ass. The result is often a spine crushing kick in the pants. On the other hand, perhaps I shouldn't look at the babes and concentrate on the road.

Austro, yes, aging is definitely not for the faint hearted.

I rode my son's Super Glide here in Hawaii and have the same problem. He has footpegs mounted forward in addition to the stock. I ride most of the time with my feet on the forward pegs and then find it a challenge to move my foot back to shift or put my foot down. .

I am under 6 ft and since the Rocket sits higher I don't have the challenging of shifting my weight to move my feet back. You might consider a higher seat like the Russel Day Long and a set of longer Progressive shocks. Unfortunately it would cost about a thousand bucks.

It would take your mind off the pain in your legs so you could concentrate more on girl watching, which we are never too old to do. :)

Gasket said:
Austro, yes, aging is definitely not for the faint hearted.

I rode my son's Super Glide here in Hawaii and have the same problem. He has footpegs mounted forward in addition to the stock. I ride most of the time with my feet on the forward pegs and then find it a challenge to move my foot back to shift or put my foot down. .

I am under 6 ft and since the Rocket sits higher I don't have the challenging of shifting my weight to move my feet back. You might consider a higher seat like the Russel Day Long and a set of longer Progressive shocks. Unfortunately it would cost about a thousand bucks.

It would take your mind off the pain in your legs so you could concentrate more on girl watching, which we are never too old to do. :)

Tehehehe! You got that right. Never to old to appreciate a gentle curve or two..... or three! I've been thinking about investing in taller Progressives. I'll think about it again come April. Isn't it then when that curvature creature starts to repopulate the american street sceene? :p

+
IndyRocket3 said:
Purchase the heel/toe shifter from Rivco Products....... it's adjustable :wink:

Indie, thanks for the lead. The shifter looks nice, however Rivco warns not to use with the classic. What is this? A kind a Gordian Knot test and me being Alexander the Great! Well, no, certainly not Alexander, I'm just plain Great. :roll: :twisted:

azccj said:
What size boot do you wear? Mine are size 13 Joe Rocket Big Bang boots that look like boots that Herman Munsters would wear :shock: , they are huge. I don't have any problem with foot discomfort even though my left foot was destroyed in a MC accident 22 years ago. When I ride the rocket the toe end of my boot hangs off the left floor board but I have not yet rubbed the road with it yet.

I wear 12 1/2 engeneer boots. I tried to have the toes hanging off the board and if I had a good foot it would work. I had to have surgery in order to ride again and having the foot twisted out starts to get unconfortable after a surprising short time. I tried to push my boot in sideways after all shifting was complete but that's NOT a good idea! I'll check next with Triumph to see if the new touring model shifter will fit. Rubbing the road with a forward foot is never a good way to make it home to mother!

Back