Toe, Heel gear shifter problem

austrorocketrider

.020 Over
I used to ride, way back when dinosaurs ruled the word, a BSA Gold Star that had a toe-heel shifter. In typical brit fashion it had the shifter on the wrong side just to be different. The foot rested on a regular peg and life was good.

When I put down my cold hard cash for my current ride I made sure it was a classic. Since toe-heel shifting is nothing new to me I didn't expect any problems, but to my surprise our english brethrens managed to do just that. The problem is the size of my feet and boots. They just do not fit between the shift pads. So I am forced to ride with my foot twisted a bit to keep the left boot on the pad. Once a while I feel the comforting rub of the tarmac against my boot heel. Also my foot gets tired after a while. Sofar I put a few thousand miles on the steel stallion, as my wife calls it, but the discomfort is getting old. I have not checked with Triumph for a solution but thought that someone else with big feet may have encountered a similar problem and found a solution.

Please don't recommend a slow stretch or a cut insert and weld solution. I want to keep my ride to look factory issue. I know, I know! Toe amputation would work. But then I'd have to by a new boot and I can't afford that.

Any solutions are welcome, but goofy ones better be good or I'll have to rip you a new one!

Regards.

What size boot do you wear? Mine are size 13 Joe Rocket Big Bang boots that look like boots that Herman Munsters would wear :shock: , they are huge. I don't have any problem with foot discomfort even though my left foot was destroyed in a MC accident 22 years ago. When I ride the rocket the toe end of my boot hangs off the left floor board but I have not yet rubbed the road with it yet.

I wear my size 13 EE Red Wings. When first looking at a Classic, I was aware of that problem as well. I found that when I ride, I let my boot hang off the side as well.

However, you find this uncomfortable. Someone else (Gasket, I believe) ended up cutting the rear portion off. I don't believe this is necessary. I think the answer is staring us right in the face:

I'm thinking that if you loosen that setscrew with an allen wrench, you can adjust the angle of the shifter. Angle it up so you can fit your toes under the front portion and the rear portion will actually clear the rear of the floor board and can be used with a little more effort. This configuration will allow you to use the front portion like a normal shifter as well. You have choices!

I have yet to do this myself, but have seen another Classic in a dealership that was set up like this. I'll have to get brave and try it.

ATM

P.S. Don't forget to tighten the setscrew again after adjustment.

Austro, last June during my ride from Florida to Washington I found that the heel shifter cramped my left foot. That is, when riding all day I wanted to be able to bring my foot back to rest my toe on the rear of the floorboard. I could do it with my right but obviously not with the left. I stopped at Titletown Cycles in Greenbay where my buddy is head mechanic and had him cut the rear of the shifter off right behind the pivot. I then put it on the grinder and rounded it off. Problem solved except that I no longer have the heal shifter. I prefer the comfort.

On the heal/toe shifter for the vintage bikes, I had one on my 67 TR6C but removed it. I still have it in my box of spare Brit parts though. I'd never seen one on on any bike but mine.

ATMofMN said:
I wear my size 13 EE Red Wings. When first looking at a Classic, I was aware of that problem as well. I found that when I ride, I let my boot hang off the side as well.

However, you find this uncomfortable. Someone else (Gasket, I believe) ended up cutting the rear portion off. I don't believe this is necessary. I think the answer is staring us right in the face:

I'm thinking that if you loosen that setscrew with an allen wrench, you can adjust the angle of the shifter. Angle it up so you can fit your toes under the front portion and the rear portion will actually clear the rear of the floor board and can be used with a little more effort. This configuration will allow you to use the front portion like a normal shifter as well. You have choices!

I have yet to do this myself, but have seen another Classic in a dealership that was set up like this. I'll have to get brave and try it.

ATM

P.S. Don't forget to tighten the setscrew again after adjustment.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. Cutting the rear pad won't do because I have a toe problem when I up shift. After a while I get so sore that riding loses all it's beauty.

I ordered the floorboards with my standard in '06. The first thing I did after the initial ride was to adjust the shifter so I could get my toe under it! :
I guess I'm going to have to paint that garage floor. :shock:

Mine is set up just like IDK indicated...front is much higher so my big clunky size 12 boots fit under it just fine, with plent of room for heel. Unlike Gasket, I put my feet on the passenger boards for stretch and comfort for them really long rides. I'm sure I look like a fool, but it is really comfortable.

I also keep my right foot tucked tightly UNDER the brake pedal so it's a real conscious effort to use the rear brake...last time I used it too much, I slid 40 feet and ricocheted off guard rails. :x

Wolfman, I do the stretch too but I just have to move all over the place so tucking both legs back is a must. Must be age.

Do you have a two piece heal/tow shifter which allows you to raise the toe without lowering the heal portion? It seems to me that I saw one of those. But also note the difference between Atm's (like what I have) and Bluemarlin's, of which you obviously can't cut off the rear.

gR3yWolf said:
Mine is set up just like IDK indicated...front is much higher so my big clunky size 12 boots fit under it just fine, with plent of room for heel. Unlike Gasket, I put my feet on the passenger boards for stretch and comfort for them really long rides. I'm sure I look like a fool, but it is really comfortable.

I also keep my right foot tucked tightly UNDER the brake pedal so it's a real conscious effort to use the rear brake...last time I used it too much, I slid 40 feet and ricocheted off guard rails. :x

I'll give this a try, except the thing with the brake pedal. I like to have all resources available at short notice. What you need is ABS :)

Back