Tire Pressure - Who TF Knows? šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø

After well over 100,000 Rocket Roadster miles, I have found 36 front & 40 rear the best for my ride.
For reference for non-Roadster riders (former rider, myself) this is the recommended psi from the user manual for the Roadster....
Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 8.40.11 AM.png

For the 2.5s this is the recommended rating....
Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 8.52.54 AM.png

Kawasaki now also recommends 42/42 for the ZX-14R, so the new Rocket is not entirely alone in this. I've plotted various motorcycles' "OEM recommended tire pressures" against various metrics, such as tire height and load rating, and in each case there's either a cluster or a trend, but then some outliers all sitting along the 42 PSI line. That comes across to me as an artificial recommendation meant to cover against liability, rather than something derived from measurements.

Of the bikes I've plotted so far, the average owner's-manual-recommended front tire pressure is 36 PSI (median 36), average unladen rear is 40 PSI (median 42), and average laden rear is 41 PSI (median 42). Lowest F/R overall I've found was the 2020 VMax at 33/33. Harley's Street Bob 114 is similar in mass to the new Rocket, and the recommendation there is 36/40 (though if I remember correctly, one of the tires is bias ply).

For reference for non-Roadster riders (former rider, myself) this is the recommended psi from the user manual for the Roadster....
Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 8.40.11 AM.png

For the 2.5s this is the recommended rating....
Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 8.52.54 AM.png
Gratitude for thus info. I never looked this up. Pleased to read my miles of trial & error were close.

Kawasaki now also recommends 42/42 for the ZX-14R, so the new Rocket is not entirely alone in this. I've plotted various motorcycles' "OEM recommended tire pressures" against various metrics, such as tire height and load rating, and in each case there's either a cluster or a trend, but then some outliers all sitting along the 42 PSI line. That comes across to me as an artificial recommendation meant to cover against liability, rather than something derived from measurements.

Of the bikes I've plotted so far, the average owner's-manual-recommended front tire pressure is 36 PSI (median 36), average unladen rear is 40 PSI (median 42), and average laden rear is 41 PSI (median 42). Lowest F/R overall I've found was the 2020 VMax at 33/33. Harley's Street Bob 114 is similar in mass to the new Rocket, and the recommendation there is 36/40 (though if I remember correctly, one of the tires is bias ply).
Einar,
Nice work, Amigo!
I an envious of your efforts to do this.
I have also patted my own back that my seat of the pants efforts agree spot on with your median pressures.
Have you published your study data?

Started out 38F/38R and rode ā€œbrisklyā€ on some good roads for about 30-40mins. I donā€™t have a Fobo on my front because of a jacked-up valve but my rear Metz Cruisetec showed 44.8psi. It felt AWESOME! The harsh/brittle feeling was gone. She was like butter flowing. Absolutely no mushiness or washout feelings. I donā€™t even think I will try 37. It was amazing, like a sweet spot. Temp was around 60F. Thanks! You guys rock! I need to keep a closer eye on tire pressure when we hit the 80ā€™s-90ā€™s this summer.

Started out 38F/38R and rode ā€œbrisklyā€ on some good roads for about 30-40mins. I donā€™t have a Fobo on my front because of a jacked-up valve but my rear Metz Cruisetec showed 44.8psi. It felt AWESOME! The harsh/brittle feeling was gone. She was like butter flowing. Absolutely no mushiness or washout feelings. I donā€™t even think I will try 37. It was amazing, like a sweet spot. Temp was around 60F. Thanks! You guys rock! I need to keep a closer eye on tire pressure when we hit the 80ā€™s-90ā€™s this summer.
Good thing you weren't running those sweet spot pressures the other day on Devil's Triangle or I'd still be trying to catch up with you šŸ :thumbsup:

Good thing you weren't running those sweet spot pressures the other day on Devil's Triangle or I'd still be trying to catch up with youšŸ :thumbsup:
Ha! Itā€™s those awesome yellow cat-eye marker lights that you have. ā€œHere he comes, Iā€™m being stalkedā€¦ Run away!ā€ šŸ™€ And I wasnā€™t carrying a weekendā€™s worth of camping gear. šŸŽ When I needed a hex wrench to adjust my mirrors you and Kevin are both grabbing them and asking, ā€œwhat size?ā€œ Hell, he motors that beast around and is carrying so much stuff/tools that it is like having a support van. I probably couldā€™ve gotten new coils and starter installed on the side of the road. šŸ˜Ž I really like that mini tire inflator and plugs. Thatā€™s something that could get me home.

Back