Tire Mounting - Getting Somewhere

Journeyman

"And this one is just right" ~ Goldilocks
Ride
2020 3R
The following is an early review of the Mojo Lever. The general topic of tire changes has been covered before and many of the same responses come up. If you can get it done for $25 somewhere, great for you, but understand that doesn't help those of us who pay $55 + when we bring the wheel in to a shop, and then they can't even balance the rear. That, plus, the inevitable rim marring that is covered by the sign these places display giving them immunity from damage.

If you ride a lot and for some mysterious reason (?) don't get 10k miles to a tire (not even half) as some do, then that $55 starts adding up quickly. I put on about three sets on per year.

So, I've never given up on finding a way to do my own tires and may have found a solution. If even just for the front it will save me time, money, and potential rim damage for half my changes. Worth it.

After looking at various options I finally settled on the Mojo Lever. Here is video of my first go with this tool. Temps were only in the mid 70s, so both tires were cold. The stand is from Harbor Freight.

Coming off was a breeze. Getting the new one on took a little doing, but there is some technique that I need to master, as once I stopped and used my head it actually went on pretty smoothly.

Will it work on the rear? Maybe, maybe not. I'll let you know. Won't be long before that one is up for a change too.

Anyway, I hope this might be useful to some of you who want a means to do this work yourself. My old friend used to say "with grease and patience you can screw a cat," not that I approve of such things. Just saying.... it's a saying.

Last edited:
I was very uneasy watching that bar ride on the brake rotor. Also from what the dealership has told me the rear tire is much worse than the front to mount and unmount. As stated I'm the lucky guy that gets charged $50 per set but only do it about once or twice a year.

I was very uneasy watching that bar ride on the brake rotor. Also from what the dealership has told me the rear tire is much worse than the front to mount and unmount. As stated I'm the lucky guy that gets charged $50 per set but only do it about once or twice a year.

It is touching the rotor now and then, but I was conscious not to use it as a fulcrum point. I'm certain that it was OK, but I might come up with a stop or guide of some sort on the vertical bar where the high end of the tool will ride, keeping the angle so that it can't even touch the rotor. Good point.

Yeah, yeah, yeah- to everyone, the rear is a bitz, I know- I've attempted it with tire irons before! Notice no video of that ;) with "attempt" being the operative word. It was one hell of a workout.

Sure, I'll be amazed if this tool will dismount (would save me a few $) or actually allow me to mount the rear. For one thing, before I even attempt it I'm going to have to anchor that stand better.

As I said, if I can continue to do half my tire changes more quickly (no driving/wait time), cheaply, and with less chance of damage, I'm going to call it a success.

Last edited:
It is touching the rotor now and then, but I was conscious not to use it as a fulcrum point. I'm certain that it was OK, but I might come up with a stop or guide of some sort on the vertical bar where the high end of the tool will ride, keeping the angle so that it can't even touch the rotor. Good point.

Yeah, yeah, yeah- to everyone, the rear is a bitz, I know- I've attempted it with tire irons before! Notice no video of that ;) with "attempt" being the operative word. It was one hell of a workout.

Sure, I'll be amazed if this tool will dismount (would save me a few $) or actually allow me to mount the rear. For one thing, before I even attempt it I'm going to have to anchor that stand better.

As I said, if I can continue to do half my tire changes more quickly (no driving/wait time), cheaply, and with less chance of damage, I'm going to call it a success.
Rear tire can be taken off easily. Cut a hole in the side with a reciprocating saw, then cut the bead with a bolt cutter.

Back