Time for an oil change

Hi Nath,

Firstly sorry to read of your loss of a friend. What a tradgedy. Here one minute and gone the next. You never know.

Re oil, we designed and built a test machine for a leading formula 1 team. Part of its function was to heat the oil up to 160 - 180C and circulate it at several bar pressure and many litres a minute for 8 hours a day to test the function of the additives.

At the end of every week we sent a sample to the oil manufacturer's lab in America for analysis. We ran like this for many days over several weeks sending off samples each week.

At the end of the trials the oil was deemed to have all its properties intact and be good for about 48,000 miles in a family car. The additivies "boil" off and take the nasties with them thus preserving the oil. Don't try this at home though as the fumes are extremely dangerous over 150C. I can't name the team or the oil but it is readily available in Halfords.

All that aside, if you love the therapy, go for it.

Last edited:
Diesel oils have better additive packages than passenger vehicle oils. Marine oils even more so. Those additives are what matter the most, more than oil weight or base stock.
I have always used Turbo Diesel oils in my vehicles prior to the R3 for that reason - and because a couple are Turbo Diesels. BUT so far have not dosed the R3 thusly. It's a thought. But I can get the AGIP race cheap (bulk price) so why bother?

I bought oil for a change in prep for Talihina.
6 quarts of Mobil 1 T4 was $80! The filter was $12.
Several of my friends have done the oil lab testing stuff and found the full syn was still very safely low on particulates after 7, 8 & 10K miles. Some were big V-twins and some were liter bikes.
Now at 60K, I'll perhaps go down to 7-8K miles.

Back