Throttle cables?

ThePhoinix

.060 Over
After about an hour of very pleasant riding I noticed that whenever I released the throttle to start to decelerate there would be a jerk rearwards, and when applying throttle from zero there would be a jerk forwards. This was in all gears, but not when shifting it seemed. Then I stalled at around 30mph, restarted easily enough and kept on enough throttle to keep it from happening too many more times. Of note is that this had NOT been the typical behavior before now.
I hoped it must be a throttle problem, and then I noticed there was zero freeplay in the twist. loosened up the throttle cable nuts all the way and now it seems I'm at around 2mm freeplay. (2-3mm is the recommendation)
Does this seem consistent with throttle cables that are too tight? Or is something else going on I need to track back to the throttle bodies, or something else completely?
This is still a new bike, 2015 r3t with 1500 miles...

I haven't taken it back out yet, and wanted to check to see if there's some dire issue I should beware of.

Thanks

I guess a test drive is in order to see if the problem has been solved. I've always had free play.
I could have sworn I had a bit of freeplay before this. I'm mystified how it could have evaporated... hence, I'm here :) It just doesn't seem right to my non-mechanic brain...

Did you check where they mount on the throttle bodies. Maybe the threaded tubes came loose. Also do you have heated grips?

I could have sworn I had a bit of freeplay before this. I'm mystified how it could have evaporated... hence, I'm here :) It just doesn't seem right to my non-mechanic brain...

Normally you would have more free play over time as the cables stretch. If you still have the problem after your test ride you might take the cover off the housing that covers the grip and take a look. Twist the grip and check for binding, the grip cable holes or perhaps fraying. Lube the cable and ferrell. After that I would take it to the dealer because you will have to pull the bear claw, lift the tank and move the radiator overflow canister to get good access to the other ends of the cables and linkage.

Did you check where they mount on the throttle bodies. Maybe the threaded tubes came loose. Also do you have heated grips?
Not yet. Since I was able to get some freeplay from the nuts at the handlebars I hoped it was enough. I guess I will do that now before I go out again.
And no, no heated grips.

It's still under warranty, @Bedifferent, so I definitely will bring it to the dealer to assess. But it's a bit of a distance and I don't want to be dismounted, so to speak, until then.
And I did open up the housing on the handlebar - no fraying, all seems attached as it should be...

seems to be behaving properly now. I'm still perplexed as to how cables could TIGHTEN over time. I'll have them take a look when I bring it in for a service, but for now all seems well. Thanks for the input.

Back