CanberraR3

Living Legend
Ride
Triumphs, but no Rocket just now.
GI - Pro + ATRE fitted; secondaries gone

Based entirely on opinion, advice and information on this site I removed secondaries and installed the GI-Pro this morning to complement TORS and Staintune collector. A big thanks to everyone who posted something on the topic, some going back quite a way, and especially HellFire whose opinions as much as his advice swayed me the most. I found the search function on this site really useful and effective. :)

Removing secondaries was simple; took about 40 mins taking it slowly and being very careful. Putting the f***er back together was another matter. Finished up loosening the mounting on the air box under the tank and attaching that back onto the front bit after it was secured to the intakes. About 90 minutes of cursing for that.

GI-Pro took a hour but could easily have taken a lot less. I've just wedged it between the guages without removing the plastic cap and it sits very nicely there and can easily be slid out a bit to change the setting (not that I can see ever not using 3).

First ride brought back the "holy ****" reaction I had when I first got the bike. :D
I didn't use more than half throttle and 3000 rpm and could feel the front getting light. Didn't really have the room or the setting (suburbia) to open it up but I can tell it's going to be a hang on for your life experience. Other really obvious thing is that it cruises at 1000 rpm without any hunting or jerking; much much smoother at really low speeds. :)

The GI-Pro (blue) is dead accurate with no delay whatsoever, up or down. Shows 0 a nanosecond behind the neutral light.

These changes always seemed to me to be too good to be true. As they say, if something seems too good to be true, it probably is. Not so here. These mods ARE as good as everyone says.

As for cost, around $180 and I can see I'll be lucky to get 5000km out of the Metz....

site

I agree ive only just joined this site and find it has lots of info becouse people r willing to share thier knowlage.
I was also reading everybodys posts regarding the Gipro atre and have been seriously thinking of doing the mod also.
this last post of yours has definatly tipped the scales in favour now so desision made im going to do the same
Regards and thanks
Mitch :D

Isn't it fun?lol
Don't know which bike you have, but the staintune x-over on my Roadster made a hell of a difference. I was already dyno'd with the triples, no BC, and TOR's. and dwith a good Tuneboy tune and A/F of 13.1, it went lean to 16.7 with the staintunes. Richened it up and picked up good HP with the mod.
This **** is habit forming. Enjoy your new found power.

The thing I like best is that the power increase is delivered so smoothly. It's more controlable and doesn't have that jerkiness when you power on at low speed. I might have stumbled on the GI-Pro but there's no way I'd have even though of removing the secondaries without this site. Researching what comes next.

Those two things are the most for the least .... you don't have to re-tune the bike and it's the cheapest WOW you can get. Since most don't get out past third gear when thrashing it, having that 7% power Triumph removes for safety is like a different bike for less than $200.

The thing I like best is that the power increase is delivered so smoothly. It's more controlable and doesn't have that jerkiness when you power on at low speed. I might have stumbled on the GI-Pro but there's no way I'd have even though of removing the secondaries without this site. Researching what comes next.
The triple filters make a nice next step, but you will need to do something with the fuel when you go there. PCIII, Tuneboy or the TuneECU. I like the PCIII because it's plug n play, dyno-tune and forget it. Since you have the GiPro and secondaries removed, you don't need the extra adjustability from the Tuneboy or Tune ECU unless you like to tinker with stuff like that.
Like you I did the cheap stuff first, then gathered the filters, PCIII and exhaust to do all at once so when it was dyno-tuned, everything was in place just the way I was going to leave it. But nothing was as noticeable as the secondaries and GiPro, the performance from those was shocking.

Hellfire, what would you expect with just GI-Pro and leaving the secondaries intact? I have this idea that they're open anyway in 4th+5th via the stock map... any truth to that hunch?

The purpose for removing in the secondaries is to take control of the throttle away from the computer. You have control of the lower flap via the throttle cable, and the ECM has control of the top set. Not only does the ECM react slower than the cable when you demand power, but it's also programed from the factory to limit the available power in 1st-3rd gear. It also limits power by retarding the timing in those gears, the GiPro fixes the timing issue and removing the plates takes care of the ECM making judgments on how much throttle you can have at a time. So it's not whether they are open in 4th or 5th thats the issue, it's what are they doing in 1st - 3rd? And the only way to control that is to either remove them or program them to stay open with Tuneboy or TuneECU.

So you can add a GiPro without removing the plates, you will get a power increase in 1st-3rd, just not as much as you would without them, and the throttle response won't be as crisp. It will work either way, it just works better with the secondaries removed and the ECM not second guessing your intentions. You can do it with tuneboy or tuneECU too, but there aren't alot of dyno-tuners out there who can do custom tunes on those. You should be an expert and have access to a dyno doing it that way, copying someone else's tune isn't perfect because it's not YOUR bike. So go any route you want, just base the decision on what you want, your tuning abilities and how much you want to alter the software in the ECU.

Thank you much, Hellfire. I'll be thinking on this as the winter progresses... certain to order the GI Pro, pretty sure to get PC-3... I have one season under my belt, and really want what's available in 4th and 5th gear in all 5!

I kinda like the quiet stock mufflers as they are, and the early bikes have a sorta empty cat box, so I'm not sure how much restriction they already cause... but I'm sure to take your advice and knowledge under careful consideration. Oh, what the hell. Those secondaries aren't likely to be there in the spring.

I have the GI-Pro already, thanks to Hellfire's constant praising of it ;), if I remove the secondaries will I have to retune?

Back