There you go hooligans

Depends on how much weight you want to move at what rate of acceleration and at what top speed. I want to get my Rocket just under 10 seconds in the quarter mile and I would like to have a top land speed of 225. How much horsepower do I need ? I bet we know who can answer those questions ... @1olbull ???

Depends on how much weight you want to move at what rate of acceleration and at what top speed. I want to get my Rocket just under 10 seconds in the quarter mile and I would like to have a top land speed of 225. How much horsepower do I need ? I bet we know who can answer those questions ... @1olbull ???
ET-MPH-HP Calculator

Years ago before the VMAX crash in the Rockies, I decided to take the EX500 out on a Sunday ride with my buddies on their 1000cc sport bikes. Yes they made fun of me as I would have done the same, after all, I was a VMAX rider then. The first trip was simply to see if I could keep up with them in the twisties. I soon found the happy spot on the Tach to be over 9K. I kept the revs high throughout and found that it was easy to keep up with the real sport bikes. At our first stop, they said they were amazed I stuck with them, but the next leg they would leave me behind and hoped I could catch up at the bottom of the mountain. Nope, even going down they could not leave the little Ninja.

The article explains what I was doing without me understanding the true physics behind the action. I feel enlightened now.

Now the VMAX was a different style of riding completely. That bike is not forgiving in the curves. My buddies would walk away from it constantly on either R1 and GSXR1000 or when they switched to their Super Hawk and Buell Ulysses. However, once I found a straight road, the VMAX would be WOT to the point I was almost smoking the brakes to slow down when I caught them.

Riding the slow bike fast was indeed more fun over the long run, but the pull of that VMAX was addicting on a whole new level.

Back