Starting Issue

I have a 2005 R3. I've fixed a few problems and added many upgrades through the years (most upgrades came from this site), but I've dealing with something now that is driving me nuts. The bike starts fine when the handlebars are turned from mid position to the right, but won't fire when the handlebars are positioned from mid point (straight ahead) and to the left.
Had trouble about a year ago and had the ignition switch replaced by a local repair shop. Read up on that repair both before and after on this site (very helpful) and didn't want to do myself because of the twist-off screws holding the switch in place. When the switch failed it was completely dead when the switch was turned on. No lights, no instruments, nothing. It worked fine with the new switch till last week and then started this stuff with handlebar movement.
My first thought was the ignition switch, so I tore it down and found the guy who replaced the switch last fall only put one if the screws back in and it wasn't tight, making the switch loose. Also found the cable poorly routed. Thought that must be the problem, stress on the cable when handlebars turned to the left, so I re-routed the cable, installed screws and put everything back together. Still didn't work, so I tore it back down, completely removed the switch, checked the solder joints, all good, and then checked the wiring continuity. Not only did I check each wire from plug to solder joint, I checked wire to wire with the switch in the on (and off) positions... white to yellow closed with switch on-open when off, etc. Found no problems. Put everything back together and it did the same thing with the handlebar turn.
Closely inspected the way the cables were routed and found the cable from the right side handle bar to the connector under the gas tank a little tight with the bar turned to the left, so i rerouted it, pulled the connector apart and cleaned and inspected both plugs, then tried starting the thing up. Still starts only with the handlebar turned to the right.
Last time,removed the switch, hooked the cable back up, and laid it under the propped up motor. Took all the stress I could find off the cables. Turned the handlebars right to left and left to right, can't see any cable under gas tank moving in the slightest. Left motor propped up and plastic cable cover on left side of frame removed. With handlebars turned to left I wiggled every wire and moved every connector I could see while holding the clutch control handle and start button in. Won't start. Slowly turned the handlebars to the right and every time I get half way, it fires and starts right up. Turn to left and it remains running.
Also, every time I turn the key on, I get bot the headlights and the instrument cluster on as they should, no matter where the handlebars are positioned.

Anyone seen this before? If so, what the hell is wrong.
Second question, if I can't fix it, would you continue to ride it with this problem? Currently, it never fails to start when the handlebars are turned to the right.
Thanks,
Donnie D. from Kentucky.

Back