Something Failed, let’s find it! Transmission Analysis.

Well I now understand the damage.

I expect I’ll find a bent 5th gear fork when I get it out tonight.

It’s consistent with the visible gear damage and with the symptoms after the failure. I was going into 4th, it ground bad with the false neutral, then I pulled clutch and tried to upshift again.

If the 5th or 1st/4th fork were bent enough it’s very possible it slid the 3/4 input gear over to engage 5th with 4th still engaged, which would explain the one sided 3rd output damage and corresponding 4th gear damage.

Now the question really is why.

Drum
Quickshifter
Circlip

One of them is the devil.

Last edited:
Similar things go on in the Four wheel drive world....It's painfully easy to identify the weakest part of your machine...but when you beef it up, you reveal the next weakest link....and so on, until you are into it with huge money...but you have an unbreakable vehicle.

My Trident doesn't break now, and when I was riding it full time, my Bank account was ..... low :confused:

I should mention, my theory basically correlates with how I ride. Wear would be accelerated at high speed and high load.

Well... 170+ lbft

I like to haul ass, typically riding no slower than 70 unless cars are briefly in my way, and often cruising in the 90-110 range.
I would put a third of your budget into more medical insurance:laugh:

Quick shifter plus reversing the normal shifting linkage so you can stomp the shifter whether the gears and dogs are in time or not!!
That's my bet from what I know so far:)

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the kill times in m/sec on you PCV speedshifter table?
Have you used the search function on this board regarding gear box shimming?

Back