J1003K

.020 Over
I have been a die-hard Harley man for most all of my adult life; 46 y.o. now. I sold my 93 FLHS two weeks ago which I put a lot of miles on, and I loved every minute of it, but I occasionally found myself wishing I had just a little bit more power. I had a Rocket III pass me coming back from Laughlin this year and I was intrigued. I went down to our local Triumph dealer in Salt Lake City and rode it....then came back a couple of weeks later and rode it again; that did it for me. I found a Rocket III out in Reno, NV with only 3800 miles on it. I flew out there, picked it up and rode it back to SLC. Because I didn't want to spend all day on I-80 coming home (HOT!!!), I maintained my speed at about 85 - 90 mph most all the way home....nice. At one point in the trip home, I saw a group of bikes miles ahead of me (5 Goldwings). I slowly creeped up on them, passed them, and then eventually saw them disappear in my rearview mirrors; I believe I was snickering at that point because I would not have been able to do that on my Harley. I eventually want to put Corbin fairing and saddlebags on this as well as a better seat for my wife, but right now, I'm enjoying the bike.

Sturgis

Ray, Several of us are doing a burn and turn. We will leave here on the 9th, spend time there on the 10th and head home on the 11th.

Welcome J1003K!

Rockets make pretty good highway bikes. They tend to compress time and distance, don't they :D?

Another Perpetual Grin

Glad you joined the clan and I hope you'll have half the fun I've had with my beast. You can try and explain the virtues of the R3 to non-believers but until they take a ride..... !!!

Welcome to the Forum.

Exactly the feeling I enjoy day to day. There's not been more than a day or two, a cage has been a realistic alternative, for me since the day the beast arrived home with me that I've not gotten a nut-off to and from and from here to there.

There is simply no equivalent.

I'm changing the rear tire at 8k, tomorrow. I'll see whether a chord or two is present then.

Welcome to the forum.. :)

Your first trip home sounds kind of like mine, except for the opposite weather. I got my Rocket on New Years Eve 2006, and rode from Dallas to Shreveport to visit for a day or two, and then headed from there home to San Antonio. It was such a gorgeous day that I didn't bring a jacket and was wearing a short sleeve shirt. During the trip I realized that if I didn't make it home before dark, I would be freezing my a$$ off.. lol So I cranked her on up to 90 MPH or so.. sometimes clicking over 100.. and I did make it home just before dark.. :)

Back