I figured I would update this post instead of starting another. Here are some recent photos of my project
I am working on the bike at my friend's house so I am limited to one day a week, but that has been giving me time to study my next step.
Got all the specialty tools I need and some other stuff from Lowbrow Customs. They have been great to work with.
The wiring was shot so I took wire cutters to it. I am putting in an electronic 12 volt system anyway.
The pistons were locked in the cylinders so I pressed them out. Walls look good. I am sending them and the heads out to be redone. The pistons are already 40 over.
Took the clutch out. It is a mixed bag. The clutch plates look brand new, but the basket is toast.
The kick starter had me for a sec. Guy made his own pin to hold in on.
For the most part it is coming apart with ease. There now I've done it. LOL
This next weekend I am pulling the cam gears and the transmission. If I have time I will split the case.

Put a like on here if you want me to keep you up to date.

P1010500.JPG P1010527 (2).JPG P1010531 (2).JPG P1010534.JPG P1010544.JPG P1010499.JPG P1010538.JPG P1010532 (2).JPG P1010541.JPG P1010540.JPG

Last edited:
Today I pulled the cam gears and the transmission.
Found a few surprises for sure.
Cam gears came off easy.
Transmission on the other hand I think has some issues.
Had a surprise on the transmission cover. Met Mr Michael J Gable.
Could not get the nut off the mainshaft loose so I just pulled the inner transmission housing.
Found significant wear on the mainshaft.
Still having an issue getting the pin out of the pistons.
That was the end of my day since I went to the Indiana Veterans Home. Our ALR group sponsored bingo today.
Got home and started polishing. There is something relaxing about doing simple tasks.

P1010545.JPG P1010546.JPG P1010548.JPG P1010551.JPG P1010553.JPG P1010555.JPG P1010557.JPG P1010559.JPG

That motor looks pretty unmolested for its age, the gasket surfaces don't looked butchered, no ones cut the primary case to fit higher gearing either.

The clutch baskets groove up pretty easily and you can file them out (the service manual even says that) but parts are plentiful and cheap.

Think you've got a good one there and wish my old engine looked like that.

Keep posting

This weekend was interesting.
I got all the bearings and seals out. No problems.

Started cleaning with an all purpose cleaner. Looking better, but not where I want them.

Finally got the pistons off the rods. Made a pin puller. Had to think on that for a bit. Now if I can figure out why the rods don't want to separate from the bearings?

I ordered all the new seals and bearings.

The engine had the older style main bearing. I found I could upgrade it. I ordered the new style bearing.

I have to add a clamp washer and a newer model pinion gear. Found them at Trojan Classic Motorcycle in Australia. They are on order. Thank got for the internet.

P1010626.JPG P1010628.JPG P1010629.JPG P1010631.JPG P1010633.JPG P1010632.JPG

Back