Seven motorcyclists are dead after colliding with a pickup truck in New Hampshire

The Tacoma dome area had a reduction in speed limit down to 50mph. The city cited a extreme number for 18 wheeler accidents over a 60 day period as the impetus.

I was talking to a buddy who just retired from driving, about how truck drivers have gone from being the most professional and courteous to the worst and most discourteous drivers, that was his opinion too, plethora of improperly trained and inexperienced foreigners.

I see Canadian trucks on the road around here (I90) all the time. I wonder if it is the same down south with trucks or truckers from Mexico driving in the US. I know I would tend to trust the Canadian licensing system for truck drivers a little more than the Mexican model of which I know nothing about other than dealing with Mexican drivers in San Diego for many years.

bob

plethora of improperly trained and inexperienced foreigners.
Who are probably CHEAP. The fact they are potentially hired with not an ounce of experience - reflects also on the employer or where they're self employed and the governing body.

Here it matters not where you're from. In the EU you need an EU HeavyGoodsVehicle licence - it requires expensive training and requires continual renewal (5 years I think).

This morning on my way to work on 295 in central NJ, an 18 wheeler behind another rig in the center lane decided to pass.
He abruptly moved in front of me into the left lane and he stayed there for miles, blocking left lane traffic.
First time I've ever seen a big rig make a pass like that AND stay there. I was amazed.

I do about half of my daily commute on the interstate on the west side of Spokane. I can't tell you how many times I have to slow down because of 18 wheelers pulling out to pass and staying there forever it seems.

bob

I see Canadian trucks on the road around here (I90) all the time. I wonder if it is the same down south with trucks or truckers from Mexico driving in the US. I know I would tend to trust the Canadian licensing system for truck drivers a little more than the Mexican model of which I know nothing about other than dealing with Mexican drivers in San Diego for many years.

bob

Yes, lots of Mexican trucks in southern Arizona. Take was one of the problems with the NAFTA, there was a zone along the border that allowed trucks operate in without full compliance

I came across one of the new courteous truck drivers on my way home from Maggie Valley. There was a left lane closure about a mile down the road on I-40 westbound. Some arsehole in a big rig decided he was going to block the left lane in spite of the signs saying no heavy trucks in the left lane. He crawled along next to another truck all the way to the merge point which took about 20 mins with the road clear in front of him. To make it worse the trucks closed up and wouldn't let any cars in when we finally had to merge.
The standards here in Canada could use a revamp too. Humboldt Broncos bus crash - Wikipedia

Just think - if Tesla get their way - we will have all electric driverless trucks. Good luck everybody.....

Will be better!! Trucks will be predictable, keep spacing, stay out of the left lane, and go the speed limit. Sounds like riding heaven.

Every fatal Tesla accident has been traced to human error as the root cause.

Back OT: I hope this is, as Navigator eloudes to, the catalyst to trigger s deeper look, we'd all benefit from it.

Will be better!! Trucks will be predictable, keep spacing, stay out of the left lane, and go the speed limit. Sounds like riding heaven.

Every fatal Tesla accident has been traced to human error as the root cause.

Back OT: I hope this is, as Navigator eloudes to, the catalyst to trigger s deeper look, we'd all benefit from it.
Ever see what cars with all these new tangled sensors do when they get dirty? Especially up north?

Back