we do roughly 20k miles per year two up and after about 10k miles i found the standard seat turned so soft i could feel the plastic seat mold through the foam :eek: this wasnt much better for the wife either. we then changed to the dual touring, this was slightly better but that didnt take too long to feel worn either.

i was advised to buy a corbin and have to say its the best mod i have ever done, i have made it into the quick release so its just as easy to get on and off and the comfort is second to none (except the russell day long but in the uk thats cost over a grand)
the wife is much more comfortable, you still get a bit shifty after an hour and a half or so but....... after 5 minutes off the bike, then you get back on you feel like you are starting your journey again, unlike the stock seat where the riding times get less and less before rests.;)

forgot to say i am only 5ft 9' so had the nose job done that reduces the width at the front of the seat so that it doesnt dig into my inner thighs when feet are down.;)

2012 Touring - Worst Seat Ever

I got my new Rocket 3 Touring in March 2012. I had the dealer swap out the stock seat for the special long touring pillow seat with back rest $300 upcharge. I rode 350 miles home from the dealer and ended up in the hospital. This is the worst combination of seating comfort and backrest position I could imagine. It sits you right on your tailbone so you absorb every road bump directly in your spine. The grade of the seat forces you into one position. If you try to scoot back you can't. If you try to scoot forward then you sit on your gonads. I tried a number of times after my maiden voyage and eeven 100 miles puts me back in traction. I am 5'9" with 32" inseam so I am pretty average size. I imagine that they never tested this seat on humans.

That's horrible! I hope you're better now. I'm sure I won't be installing a back rest. I'll probably ship the stock seat to agreatdaytoride to be customized for comfort. It costs about $150.

I got my new Rocket 3 Touring in March 2012. I had the dealer swap out the stock seat for the special long touring pillow seat with back rest $300 upcharge. I rode 350 miles home from the dealer and ended up in the hospital. This is the worst combination of seating comfort and backrest position I could imagine. It sits you right on your tailbone so you absorb every road bump directly in your spine. The grade of the seat forces you into one position. If you try to scoot back you can't. If you try to scoot forward then you sit on your gonads. I tried a number of times after my maiden voyage and eeven 100 miles puts me back in traction. I am 5'9" with 32" inseam so I am pretty average size. I imagine that they never tested this seat on humans.

Sorry to hear about that. Not quite the same as my seat but similar I think. The backrest is adjustable both for height and lateral position. Too far forward does limit your movement and too far back does put your tailbone against the back of the seat if you push back. The height can make a big difference to comfort too. Get it right and you shouldn't have any problems. I love mine. I'm just under 5'11" and around 180lbs.

RT3 seat design

After my back healed I replaced my special touring seat with the stock seat. It is now apparent that the design of the stock seat is slightly better than the special touring seat so save your money and don't buy the touring seat. The problem is in the sharp rise that will force you to sit in one position only. The stock seat sucks too it is just a little better than the custom seat. I will find someone local to make the touring seat right for comfort.

Rode on my stock seat over 1000 miles June 23rd, 2012. I'll be out of traction soon.

The only stock seat Triumph makes that's worth a ****, IMO, is the Thunderbird. It's about as stiff as a board. BUT, that's what you want on a long ride. Soft, cushy seats feel good in the showroom, but they'll have your back reeling on a longer ride.

p.s. I have a T100 that I bought about a month ago. I had the Thruxton seat put on it before taking delivery. I haven't taken it on a long ride, but I ride it for 100 miles or so about every week. I don't have any complaints with the seat thus far. Anyway, time will tell but I may have to add it to the "acceptable stock seat" category.

Daryl,
For the first few thousand miles, the stock seat on my Bonnie didn't bother me...than all of a sudden it became quite uncomfortable after about an hours worth of riding.

Yeah, time will tell with mine. Like I said, I've only had it for about a little over a month. I think the bike has around 1200 miles on it now.

Btw, another thing that factors in is the rider weight. I weigh 150 lbs so I don't tax the seats of my bikes too much. :)

Back