atomsplitter

Living Legend
Ride
17 T-120 Black, 20 Bobber Black, 98 Trophy 1200
Last week started out innocent enough but it all went South by Tuesday. I got a call Sunday my brother Pat and his wife were coming to stay with me starting August 4th and stay until October 6th. Cool Beans, love to see him and the missus. They are flying in so he won't be bringing his bike, no problem I have a bike he can ride. So I decide Monday to swap out the rear tire because he may not like the car tire on the Rocket, so get a Metz ME888 ordered (shekels go from wallet). Tuesday I get a call from All Storage where I keep my enclosed trailer with the Lock and Load wheel chock for hauling my bikes. They asked me if I had my trailer, I said, "uh no" and they said, "well then its stolen." Now I need an explanation. Turns out mine was one of several trailers stolen out of their facility overnight. The thieves used a code they obtained by using the internet to rent a space and then casually drop in and haul out whatever they want. I had the tongue coupler double locked and it didn't matter. So I need a new trailer. Called the insurance to put in a claim. Wednesday the adjuster calls back and said I had coverage as long as it was stolen from my residence. Come again? Oh yeah, if I was on a trip and it had been ripped off from the hotel parking lot, no coverage, so because it was stored in a locked secured, and monitored facility, it wasn't covered. rats. Thursday I put the Rocket up on my lift and pull the rear wheel off and put it in my truck and the new tire shows up Friday, morning so I head to Eurosport to have them change the tire (the Rocket is going on the lift for the duration of this evolution) and they said maybe by next week (shekels again to disappear). OK still need a trailer so I go to Complete Trailer and buy a new trailer (MAJOR shekel loss). New trailer weighs twice the old trailer, so I need a new truck to pull it. Saturday I go to Grubbs Nissan in Bedford and trade my Tacoma for a Titan SV (a LOT more shekels out of the pocket). So I'm doing OK by Saturday afternoon, I'm calming down when Tom calls and wants to get a ride in before the rain shows up for a week. No problem, opportunity to try out the new Gopro camera and let the cares of the week melt away during a relaxing ride. We're about 15 miles into the ride when the Bonneville starts dancing around in the back. I immediately stop, get off the bike and sure enough, rear tire has gone flat, a nail in the tread. Well that sucks out loud. Call AAA and I'm not covered for motorcycle towing. RATS! Not a problem, I'm sure my Progressive bike insurance has coverage to reimburse my cost. I pay the tow company $150 and go on line to put in my claim and just to be sure I check my poilcy coverage for road side assistance. Yup, you guessed it, the 2005 Rocket was covered, the 1979 Yamaha XS1100 was covered, the 2017 Triumph Bonneville was NOT covered for Roadside Assistance. Double RAT SPIT! I thought this kind of crappy luck only happened when I repaired bikes, apparently it's now spilling over to my now just owning them. Karma is such a $@&%#%$!!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of all the unexpected stuff happening, but you lost mea little at "my brother and his wife are coming to stay for two months." What's that like, having a brother and sister-in-law that you'd welcome into your home for TWO MONTHS? For my brothers and I, one weekend and we're good. That goes for all six of us.

Sorry to hear of all the unexpected stuff happening, but you lost mea little at "my brother and his wife are coming to stay for two months." What's that like, having a brother and sister-in-law that you'd welcome into your home for TWO MONTHS? For my brothers and I, one weekend and we're good. That goes for all six of us.
Since I lost my wife last year, having the company is a blessing. Christine is also a gourmet cook, so there's that too. They are taking a short hiatus from their sad situation, living on a 50 foot sail boat in the Carribean. Apparently he's putting it in dry dock in Grenada and they'll fly out from there. Last year they visited for a couple months while thier boat was being repaired from a collision. (You might be able to avoid traffic when you're at anchor, but not (apparently) drunk skippers at night.)

That makes a ton of sense. I lost my wife back 16 years now, and for the longest time I just craved human contact. Especially human contact that could cook.
Your post confirms everything I think I know about insurance companies. Which admittedly isn't much.

Amen...the fine print is KILLER! Of course, so is my premium...
-MIG
Yup, talked to the insurance guy about covering the new one for theft and that's a done deal.
Sounds like you need to pay more attention to your insurance coverage. I know I do. I think we all need to review our policies every now and then.😐
Yes, I made the changes to my bike policy so I get RA in the future, got theft protection on the new trailer, and I'm looking into getting a GPS tracking system installed on the new trailer (case it wanders off again). My agent said it wasn't necessary, I said I'd rather the police recover the trailer than me have to buy another one.

Back