Rockets finally home

Waconut

.060 Over
Ride
2011 Rocket Roadster, 04 Sprint RS, 66 T100R,
A suicidal deer decided to use me as a means to its end last September. Took the insurance company a month to make up its mind and repair it, then another eight weeks for all the parts to get here from Triumph. Had the Harley to ride, but how I missed the Rocket! They finally called this afternoon and I couldn't get to town fast enough. Second best Christmas present I could've gotten. The best was our first grandchild last Tuesday . It felt good to get some miles on her today. There's no other ride that compares!

This deer / motorcycle meeting unexpectedly is becoming worrisome for me. After my deer crash the end of 2017, I didn't ride as much this year. It wasn't a great riding summer here, extreme heat and humidity most of the summer, but some of it was from being a bit paranoid. My wife hit a deer with her new to her Jeep in 2016. Less than a year later we bag one with the Rocket. There were a couple people killed in this general area hitting deer on bikes. There have been a couple of deer crashes reported on this site in the last year. We were extremely fortunate neither of us were hurt badly. Not sure how far I want to push my luck. For those of you think only a-holes hit deer, think again. The best bike racer in the world wouldn't have been able to predict, or miss the one we hit. We normally ride low traffic two laners just to stay away from cars. I'll have to say now I don't find it nearly as relaxing, having to worry about something coming out no-where and threatening my life. Kinda like riding where there are snipers and I.E.D's.

Hunting is way down where I live. Not sure about other areas but I have noticed less hunters year after year. Without hunting their will be no way to thin the population. The tree huggers wont let the state bring in sharp shooters or poison them.
I’ve had more close calls with turkeys than deer, and 20 years ago never saw a turkey.
Be safe out there!!

I'm hearin all that!!..a suprized animal can move real fast!...they just go!!!..if they're pointing in your direction luck plays a big part!!!....be mindful and take it easy...

Congratulations on your first grandchild, spoil the Cr** out of them and send them back home loaded up w/sugar....

I've had close calls over the last forty some years of riding on the road, but this is the first one I've hit with a bike. Hit a few with cars lol. I'm used to scanning for deer and this one came out of the corn and ran right into the side of my front tire, wrapping its neck around my forks and on from there. Just ran a forward scan and saw nothing. Glanced to the left to take in the morning view across the valley and my bike exploded. Never saw the deer until after it was over and I looked back to see her on the other side of the road. They can be sneaky little suckers . As for worrying, I worry for more about distracted drivers than deer. The odds of tangling with them I believe are far greater. Just after I picked up the bike yesterday, we headed out and the first stop light a kid looking at his gps rear ended my wife. Poked a hole on the Taurus bumper, totaled the kids Honda civic as it went under our car. We live 30 miles from town and three miles from home an idiot ran a stop sign in front of her from a side highway and my guess is he was doing at least 90 as he went airborne when he crossed the highway we were on. Had she not seen him and hit the brakes, might've been nasty. These are the goofballs that worry me more than deer.

Congratulations on your first grandchild, spoil the Cr** out of them and send them back home loaded up w/sugar....
Thanks, we plan on spoiling them. Avenge yourselves, live long enough to be a problem to your children

Back