Rocket3R engine shuts off low speed rolling

Mine did it on occasions and I couldn't figure it out. It always happened when I came to a stop sign or red light and down shifted and then at around 05 mph with clutch pulled in it would just die. It has happened maybe 10 times in 13 months although it hasn't happened lately maybe 6 months stall free. The difference is now when I come to a Red light/stop sign I don't 'rap' or rev the engine slightly as I down shift. I just keep the throttle disengaged and down shift. Since I don't 'throttle up' when I'm slowing it hasn't happened. Maybe a coincident but I do believe it had something to do with it. I also went to mid grade gas from always using supreme but I don't think that was it but who knows. :thumbsup:
do you have quick shifter?
did you do any ecu flashing?

I put 91 octane since day 1, should I go 94 octane?

i am confused that it never happened until i got quickshifter + new dash instrument + penner ecu map + I passed 8000km

A few of us with the newer gen Rocket have had the 'intermittent' problem. I don't have a quick shifter but did and maybe still do have the problem of the engine dying when coming to a stop with clutch in. I dropped the gas from premium to mid grade and notice zero difference in power. Some with newer and older Rockets swear by just regular at the pump. I haven't done the Penner tune yet as I still have my warranty and will wait for January for that. It could be just a coincidence as I stated but I don't rev my Rocket (old habits) when I slow and down shift and my Rocket doesn't die anymore or at least it hasn't. If and when it does I will tell everyone my theory is full of crap but it seems to be working so...

do you have quick shifter?
did you do any ecu flashing?

I put 91 octane since day 1, should I go 94 octane?

i am confused that it never happened until i got quickshifter + new dash instrument + penner ecu map + I passed 8000km
What mode are you riding in...eg...'Rider'...Road'...'Sport'...'Rain'..? and also what revs is the bike idling at?....

What mode are you riding in...eg...'Rider'...Road'...'Sport'...'Rain'..? and also what revs is the bike idling at?....
sports mode all the time and bike is idling at 1200-1300 rpm approximately since day 1, there is no noticeable change in idle rpm.

At high temp say 5 bars at temo gauage and city low riding. bike rpm is 1000only

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-09-02 at 6.55.37 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-09-02 at 6.55.37 PM.jpeg
    161.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
A few of us with the newer gen Rocket have had the 'intermittent' problem. I don't have a quick shifter but did and maybe still do have the problem of the engine dying when coming to a stop with clutch in. I dropped the gas from premium to mid grade and notice zero difference in power. Some with newer and older Rockets swear by just regular at the pump. I haven't done the Penner tune yet as I still have my warranty and will wait for January for that. It could be just a coincidence as I stated but I don't rev my Rocket (old habits) when I slow and down shift and my Rocket doesn't die anymore or at least it hasn't. If and when it does I will tell everyone my theory is full of crap but it seems to be working so...
Maybe this should be (or already is) another thread, but I'm curious about running mid-grade. I'm 1,000 away from installing the Penner tune, but assume that would definitely call for high test.

Check the clutch micro switch, it is tied into the fuel system which adds a small amount of fuel when coasting to a stop. Has been mentioned many times in the forum.
HI, after this issue arose, I bought electrical contact cleaner and sprayed the heck out of the clutch switch but didnt help. can i just replaced the clutch switch? is it easy?

Last edited:
HI, after this issue arose, I bought electrical contact cleaner and sprayed the heck out of the clutch switch but didnt help. can i just replaced the clutch switch? is it easy?

It's possible, but I doubt that you need to replace it. If the switch is the issue, you may have stretched out (snagged) the bent metal that acts like a spring when you were cleaning the bike. Or, like mine, one of the mounting screws fell out. Have a look at the switch and you'll see how it operates. Screw missing (there are two) will be obvious and if the metal is bent out you should be able to see that no matter, clutch in or out, the switch is not activated. In that case you just bend the meta back in place.

It might be good to have a spare.

This happened to me today. I was in 3rd and rolling to a stop and the engine just died. In addition to that, the shifter wouldn't downshift. I had to finagle with the clutch lever by pressing and releasing it halfway and then somehow got it back into 1st so I could take off again. Didn't happen again but it was just weird.

Back