Julie's been riding pillion with me since my TR6 Trophy days before Ihad a licence. More than 33 years. Was happy to sit there at 220 kph or endure a wheelstand where you click 2nd gear and carry the front nearly to 3rd. We where both 25 odd years younger then and bullet proof. On the Rocket she was happy to sit on the back while I pushed it to the limit of it's ground clearence. Thats untill I pushed past the limit now for the first time she is a bit uneasy and so am I so Iv'e been taking it a bit easy when where out and about sort of easing her back into it.

Amanda's pretty happy up to the speed limit and likes to feel the acceleration. Has her own bike but will come with me if we need to get somewhere quickly. She's done the Clyde a couple of times on the back but as I'm pretty cautious down there anyway, she's been comfortable.
There is no way I'd do anything close to 160km/h (100mph) - most likely 130km/h or 80 mph would be tops - or take any risks whatsoever with her on the back.

The new lady friend hasn't been on yet, but I expect I'll be keeping it to the speed limit. If she wishes to go really fast, I'll go bike shopping with her.

Never once has Catherine told me to slow down .... it's the opposite actually. She started riding with me up in the Territory when there were no speed limits. I'm the one that's slowed down a bit since my crash ... i'm so glad she wasn't on the back then. She often reminds me " i love it when we go fast"

When I met Mel, I had a Roadstar Silverado and she let me know that she had done insurance claims and saw graphic photos of bike accidents and was not interested in riding. 6 years and 3 bikes later, I'd have to say she has given in.:D. I've been riding since chidhood and she trusts me. She does pop me upside the head sometimes on those long trips when I ease up into the 80's without her knowing. I need to find a better place for the GPS, because I have to say, this is when I like the tank mounted gauges (it's tough for her to see that speedo without some effort.)

I go as fast as I want. Usually about 5-10 over the posted limit, so 70-80mph pretty consistently; but we have been in to the low hundreds once. I don't think she knows or cares. Most of the time I think she is asleep.

Remember, though, it isn't how fast you can go, its how fast you can stop. I run two up and a trailer so fast stops don't exist.

Back