Removing a dent painlessly...I hope

if u r going to have fire around a gas tank u should replace the air with a gas called c02 or argon. if u take a hose from running car exhaust and and put it into the tank the exhaust will replace air and dry out tank. while u r working on it.
ps i would not sit on the tank while u are doing this:roll::roll::roll::roll:

Empty fuel tanks are dangerous! :eek: :thumbsdown:
Be careful using the hair dryer! :sick: :oops: :inlove
Gasoline tanks are very dangerous even when empty. The pores of the metal retain more than enough energy to detonate even if it has been drained and washed.

When I was very young my dad had a welding shop. Infrequently he would have people want him to patch holes in gas tanks. He would agree to repair them but only if the customer would allow him to fill the tank with water. He would then start draining the tank and concurrently have his torch flame inside the tank to burn off the gas vapor that always is present in tanks even if they have been steam cleaned. The residual gasoline in the pores of the metal tank will burn as the water exits and ultimately the fire will go out when all the gasoline is gone. It is then safe to weld.

You probably know where this story is going. Dad came home one day and told of a belligerent customer who came wanting a tank welded. He was adamant it was safe because he had steam cleaned it thoroughly. Nothing my mild mannered, mild natured dad could say to would convince him otherwise. Dad finally agreed to do the job and sat the tank outside and around on the blind side of the door from his shop. He reached his lit torch from the safety from inside shop and stuck the tip around to the other side of the wall into the neck of the "steam cleaned" tank. Dad said it took several seconds for the perfectly round tank to finally hit the ground. Dad said the customer picked up his newly rounded tank (with an additional opening) and left without saying a word.

Back