I don't care how you slice it, it was an agressive act of war when no war was declared. A sneak attack.
it was just a kind request to try and get a bit more informed about the "sneak" part. As history now stands not only was the fact that the attack would take place know before it happened (the messages were intercepted and decoded) it is also well know that the attach itself was based on an American(!) study about the vulnerability of Pearl Harbor 10 years before (Harry Yarnell) and even as far back as 1925 a book described the possible event (The Great Pacific War).

it was just a kind request to try and get a bit more informed about the "sneak" part. As history now stands not only was the fact that the attack would take place know before it happened (the messages were intercepted and decoded) it is also well know that the attach itself was based on an American(!) study about the vulnerability of Pearl Harbor 10 years before (Harry Yarnell) and even as far back as 1925 a book described the possible event (The Great Pacific War).
The biggie was declaring an oil embargo on Japan, as far as I know, Japan has zero oil themselves. Economic war is just war by other means. I'm not saying it wasn't justified, but it backed Japan into a corner. My dad always said never back someone into corner where they have no choice but to fight.

Well then, I would invite you to go a step further back from there and see the reason for the embargo. Japan was using oil to fuel their war machine. In their thirst for expansion they were mercilessly attacking China and other surrounding countries who were unprepared and unable to repel the aggressive, well equipped Japanese military.
America's oil embargo was an attempt to curb their ability to wage war against Japan's neighbors who were inferior in military power.

I'm thinking a note that stated "Please let us have our oil back we will be good" instead of blowing up Pearl Harbor. There is no justification of any attack on USA only excuse's as to why it occurred. Japan drew first blood in a big way. Tragic and times change and Japan is a cherished ally now. They weren't kidding when they say war is hell.

Back