Rear end Crashes

Some years ago (10?) I put a module on my Gold Wing in the cowl under the trunk that every time the brake circuit is activated my rear brake lights flash 3 times quickly followed by 3 times slowly followed by a steady light ( the fast and slow might be reverse, I can’t remember). It reactivates the sequence every time the circuit is interrupted and reapplied like taking your foot off or your right hand. Still leave space in front to get out of the from the texter when I stop but it wasn’t a difficult or expensive install.

This is my main fear in riding. Riding skills can't help much. I just ordered a blinking red light, small to strap on back of bike. 9.50 shipped. 56 hrs flashing run time. 2 hr charge time. Stats from August of this yr. Are out of over 5k motorcycle crashes, over 350 were from behind. You may want to get something as well.

That's NCom Nolan helmet intercom with red light.
You tune it in app when to light on. Trigger is built in accelerometer.
You can even tune it up to feel engine braking.
I see cars react earlier compare to when I don't use it.
Highly recommend.

Screenshot 2020-09-26 at 19.48.57.png

But..when stopped at light, is it flashing?
No, unless you take your foot off the brake pedal and your hand off the brake lever, the brake light stays on as usual OEM. It will go through its program every time you do foot off and hand off after you’ve stopped though. Its purpose is to tell the texters and cell phone addicts that you’re preparing to stop. Regardless, I’ve had fellow riders tell me the fact that it’s ‘out-of-the-norm’ that gets their attention.

No, unless you take your foot off the brake pedal and your hand off the brake lever, the brake light stays on as usual OEM. It will go through its program every time you do foot off and hand off after you’ve stopped though. Its purpose is to tell the texters and cell phone addicts that you’re preparing to stop. Regardless, I’ve had fellow riders tell me the fact that it’s ‘out-of-the-norm’ that gets their attention.

Sorry, thought your question was for me 😛

I added this running light to the front of my bike along with the led lights I have installed. It can be made to flash but essentially that is illegal. I usually don't run my auxiliary lights in the on position during the day, but often flash them on and off if I think someone's actions in front of me are in question. This helps calls attention to myself. I also installed a bright led light that flashes on the rear of my bike. It's very very bright and I can easily be activate it multiple times with my front brake lever for more of an effect. I can actually set it for more multiple flashes as well. Since my video won't post here have to do the YouTube link I did if I can find it.

Attachments

• 20180427_174457.jpg
    20180427_174457.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20180427_173927.jpg
    20180427_173927.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 16
This was a Brightasslight installation I did, but they don't offer that light anymore. There are other lights out there including the one it put on the front that also comes in red leds. A little bit of a cobbled up narration, but you get the idea. You can fast forward to the end and avoid the rambling narrative of an old man. BTW..The led flicker is a result of the camera video, not the light.

Last edited:
But..when stopped at light, is it flashing?
It flashing while braking detected more than a level you set up in the app. And 1 sec after or so. So when you stop it's stop flashing as well. So this thing is good for the cases you want to warn a vehicle after you.

One more thing we can do is to change normal bulbs is stop signal to LED ones. It will not shine brighter, but it will light up just instantly. So less 0.1 - 0.3 sec in reaction of vehicle next by you.

What I did on all previous bikes I had is installation of fog lights (last time LEDs with dimmer) on highway bar. Reason is simple. Lights on highway bar light up front part of the bike (wheel and front forks) at night and make it visible from sides much better.

Out here in California we can split lanes. Lane sharing is a way of riding in most of the world, a recent study at Cal Berkeley found that the perceived dangers non riders associate with the practice are not nearly as severe as cagers believe. And one of the great benefit? Our incidence of rear-enders is nearly half of our national statistics. Motorcycles were never intended to be standing still, sitting at iddle.
If you haven't already, read the 'Hurt Report'. It helps identify the biggest threats we face when riding. Rear enders, while real, are not in the top ten.

Back