Rear end Crashes

maurice

Nitrous
Ride
2020 R3 GT
This is my main fear in riding. Riding skills can't help much. I just ordered a blinking red light, small to strap on back of bike. 9.50 shipped. 56 hrs flashing run time. 2 hr charge time. Stats from August of this yr. Are out of over 5k motorcycle crashes, over 350 were from behind. You may want to get something as well.

This is my main fear in riding. Riding skills can't help much. I just ordered a blinking red light, small to strap on back of bike. 9.50 shipped. 56 hrs flashing run time. 2 hr charge time. Stats from August of this yr. Are out of over 5k motorcycle crashes, over 350 were from behind. You may want to get something as well.
Best thing is to keep in gear, eye in rearview mirror, and I always stop where there is a "space" I can go between the vehicle in front of me (safety zone). I never put gearbox in neutral at a stop light.

I used these, front and rear on a couple of bikes. A bit more than $9.50, but very effective. While rear end collisions are indeed a problem, I worried more about the left turner in front of you. These guys have solutions for both problems. Again, not cheap, but they can save your life.

Skene Lights - motorcycle safety lighting
I've got the Hex Ezcan on my GS...use with any LED lights. Very configurable.

Best thing is to keep in gear, eye in rearview mirror, and I always stop where there is a "space" I can go between the vehicle in front of me (safety zone). I never put gearbox in neutral at a stop light.
I used to do that, realized not all the time. Also occasions in line of cars with no shoulder, no where to go. Thinking visibility can only help.

Last edited:
I used these, front and rear on a couple of bikes. A bit more than $9.50, but very effective. While rear end collisions are indeed a problem, I worried more about the left turner in front of you. These guys have solutions for both problems. Again, not cheap, but they can save your life.

Skene Lights - motorcycle safety lighting
They look great. But I can buy another red flasher for 9.50 and put up front! 😄

Totally agree with the left turner being a greater threat then being tagged from the rear. Had many close calls over the years in that situation. Along with cagers pulling out from side streets.

You are spot on with stop strategy. I always keep a buffer zone if there is a stopped vehicle in front of me and I always have an escape route, even if it means riding onto a grass median or up on the sidewalk. And yes, ALWAYS in gear when stopped, so you can accelerate away from a problem That's one of the greatest defenses of a motorcycle, the ability to accelerate faster than a car, away from a potential threat.

Oh. Is that against the law?
Actually yes. "Red" is only allowable to be seen from the rear (lights) or side near the rear (reflectors). Amber lights or reflectors tell you that's the front of the vehicle. Theory goes if you see red lights, especially in low visibility situations, you know you are behind someone. If you have them up front you have a high probability of being in a head-on collision (again in fog, rain, etc.) as folks will think they are following you.
-MIG

Back