Rear end Crashes

Out here in California we can split lanes. Lane sharing is a way of riding in most of the world, a recent study at Cal Berkeley found that the perceived dangers non riders associate with the practice are not nearly as severe as cagers believe. And one of the great benefit? Our incidence of rear-enders is nearly half of our national statistics. Motorcycles were never intended to be standing still, sitting at iddle.
If you haven't already, read the 'Hurt Report'. It helps identify the biggest threats we face when riding. Rear enders, while real, are not in the top ten.
Although not as often, the least rider control IMO.
So many hostile people today, in Lane splitting I would be concerned those envious cagers might just accidently open the door. Oops

Maurice, can't argue there's lots of people out there a French fry short of a Happy Meal. And I do not mean to hijack the thread.
I have electronic modules on the rear lights of a couple of bikes, I'll validate the thread owner's concerns.
Hostility from cagers has not been an issue but it takes a while to "train" cagers to your presence. A friendly wave to those that act friendly goes a long ways to reinforce positive behavior. That's a whole new thread!

Hostility from cagers has not been an issue but it takes a while to "train" cagers to your presence.
Good to hear!
In Florida I was on reserve on the hwy, all cars were stopped as far as you could see, and I worried I would run out of gas. I split the lane and rode up to about where the accident was trying to merge and got multiple fingers from a few drivers.

Although not as often, the least rider control IMO.
So many hostile people today, in Lane splitting I would be concerned those envious cagers might just accidently open the door. Oops

When I taught the MSF BRC, I had some students with the cager attitude of "Why should they arrive before I do?". After I explained it had zero effect on their travel time and how it actually helped them get to where they were going faster because all those motorcycles were no longer taking up travel lane space the light bulb went on and they became proponents...
-MIG

When I taught the MSF BRC, I had some students with the cager attitude of "Why should they arrive before I do?". After I explained it had zero effect on their travel time and how it actually helped them get to where they were going faster because all those motorcycles were no longer taking up travel lane space the light bulb went on and they became proponents...
-MIG
I love that! Only problem is I would not have time to have a conversation. Wish brains were more active!!

Hey Maurice, I hear you. But I'll share this with you: Budging attitudes and prejudices will be a journey, takes time. Wish I could persuade a couple of squids to be good ambassadors, so often the hostility is provoked.

I'm of the opinion the rear enders are about visibility, awareness and distraction: Sharing lanes you witness a good share of the human circus.

Hey Maurice, I hear you. But I'll share this with you: Budging attitudes and prejudices will be a journey, takes time. Wish I could persuade a couple of squids to be good ambassadors, so often the hostility is provoked.

I'm of the opinion the rear enders are about visibility, awareness and distraction: Sharing lanes you witness a good share of the human circus.
Gottcha, but I'm not splittin lanes. Ride safe!

Back