Rear drive running hot?

So I did a spirited ride yesterday in 85 degree heat and used the rear brake a little more than I usually do and it has a little more play in it but still all good so far. Like your rear drive mine is hot also. I can touch it but have to move my hand after a second or so. This is why my seat is so friggin hot. I would guess it's normal although it doesn't seem right. My seat once again was hot as hell. That's where I notice most of the heat is on the seat but the exhaust and rear drive is what's heating the seat up. Is anyone else experiencing this or are Stingray and I the chosen ones?:mad:
I don't seem to feel the seat getting hot like you describe. I have a dash cam system with the brain under the seat and when I've lifted it just after a ride I found it pretty hot there. I think the cat box is what's causing that.

Done changed up to running out fill plug. Do you mean leaning the bike over to the right and filling above the fill plug?
jack up rear wheel a bit from ground, open the fill plug, use syringe and keep putting fluid in while rotating the rear wheel by hand and close it when it starts dripping out of fill plug.

That is a great suspicion.

I've not noticed any drag pushing it around. Rolls freely, doesn't squeak on rotor or anything. I had to take a look at the rear pads. They look almost new. The rotor barely has any wear so don't think the heat is coming from it. Plus I'm a downshift braker, hardly use my rear brake. Plus it didn't work at all for months.
M5UsWh5.png

I don't seem to feel the seat getting hot like you describe. I have a dash cam system with the brain under the seat and when I've lifted it just after a ride I found it pretty hot there. I think the cat box is what's causing that.
I wonder if anyone changing from the stock exhaust has noticed the heat difference. It almost seems like the whole blooming engine/trans/swingarm is hot on mine. I realize 2458 cc's releases a lot of heat and it has to go somewhere.

The Vandemon std system is looking more attractive to me now.

Aren't the needle bearings on the other side of that seal? I thought you had to remove the wheel shaft to be able to get grease to them.
in the photo the red grease is filled up so you can see needle bearing. Part 2 from photo below is whats in my hand in photo above.

2023-06-02-08-26-48-Window.png

Ok, so the shaft doesn't have to come out. Looks like the wheel is still on in the diagram. How hard was it fishing out that spacer without buggering up the seal?

edit...That seems easy enough to check there if it just pulls out. I guess it needs jacked up so there is no load on the rear wheel assembly.
I'm maybe leaning to the exhaust system doing it. There doesn't really seem to be any friction causing it as it rolls good and brakes look new.

Last edited:
Ok, so the shaft doesn't have to come out. Looks like the wheel is still on in the diagram. How hard was it fishing out that spacer without buggering up the seal?

edit...That seems easy enough to check there if it just pulls out. I guess it needs jacked up so there is no load on the rear wheel assembly.
I'm maybe leaning to the exhaust system doing it. There doesn't really seem to be any friction causing it as it rolls good and brakes look new.
Spacer comes right out

No shaft like we're used to- the wheel bolts on like a car tire :)

Back