Rear brake disc heating and locking up

Rocket88

.020 Over
I have an 06 Rocket which I bought two months ago. Yesterday evening, the rear brake locked up as I was on an off ramp of a main road. When I got stopped the rear was moving freely again, but the brake disc was too hot to touch.

I rode on the last couple of miles to my destination, deliberately riding without applying any rear brake at all and when I stopped, the disc was still too hot to touch.

I checked the brake fluid level and it is fine. The foot pedal comes straight back up again when you press it and take the foot off. I took the brake pads out and they look quite scored; plenty of wear left, just not in great condition, considering the bike has only done a total of 4,000 miles, half of that put on by me. The pads were a sod to get out, but once I cleaned them, they went back in quite easily. The brake disc looks fine. No scores and it's not warped.

I don't use rear brake much at all, except below 10mph.

Should I get the dealer to replace the pads? I have a used bike warranty from them and they said the brakes were fine when I bought the bike.

rkt88 said:
..and tell 'em you **** near died.. :shock: ..

I don't know about me nearly dying, but the contents of my bowel tried to make it down the long dark tunnel towards the light. I was skidding straight towards about sixty of my fellow club members. :lol:

The dealer sussed the problem. A stone had managed to get lodged in the brake mechanism and had interfered with the correct function of the brake caliper pistons. Good call TriRocket3. :D

Back