Rear brake and shaft drive issue.

G8Bru

.020 Over
Ride
2020 Rocket 3R
Hey, recently got back from my dealer that performed the rear brake recall on my rocket. Put about 300 miles on it since then, and have noticed my brake pedal is not as firm any more, I ride with the same shoes, so no change in feel there. Has anyone else had other problems with there rear brake?? Going to bleed it myself both by hand and with a vacuum bleeder to make sure im not just f'd up in the head.

Over the winter, the first day I took it out, there was no rear brake at all in which my dealer said the recall fixes this, the pedal just went to the ground.. Did this happen to anyone else?

While riding with caution in mind, I noticed significant noise coming from the shaft drive below 2k rpm decelerating, almost as if theres to much backlash.. Dont recall ever hearing this before, but really wasnt trying to find more problems before I had the brake issue again.

Thanks!

It may still have air in the sysrem.
Noise after someone worked on it is not good.
I would have a look for loose bolts on the brakes.

Still not fixed. they put a new shaft in it and the noise is better but its still there
Pretty bad when you hear something that you think is not right. Strange it affected the same sound, but not totally. Are you sure what you now hear is not normal? Ask if you can ride someone's same model?
Good luck.

Hey, recently got back from my dealer that performed the rear brake recall on my rocket. Put about 300 miles on it since then, and have noticed my brake pedal is not as firm any more, I ride with the same shoes, so no change in feel there. Has anyone else had other problems with there rear brake?? Going to bleed it myself both by hand and with a vacuum bleeder to make sure im not just f'd up in the head.

Over the winter, the first day I took it out, there was no rear brake at all in which my dealer said the recall fixes this, the pedal just went to the ground.. Did this happen to anyone else?

While riding with caution in mind, I noticed significant noise coming from the shaft drive below 2k rpm decelerating, almost as if theres to much backlash.. Dont recall ever hearing this before, but really wasnt trying to find more problems before I had the brake issue again.

Thanks!
My 2020GT had the same brake issue after sitting 4 months over winter.. NO REAR BRAKE. Used a hand vacuum pump and got a lot of air bubbles out of the caliper and lines
and its hard as a rock now.. Dont know why sitting idle for so long would cause that, but Triumph said it was common on the 2020 and did a recall.
Some say it fixed the problem, but the bike really needs to sit for a period of time (months) to see if it returns. So far all this summer the pedal is hard.

Thanks!
I have a similar sound at low rpm under acceleration. It sounds like a bad universal joint that goes away above 3k. Almost a slight knocking sound.

I have a similar sound at low rpm under acceleration. It sounds like a bad universal joint that goes away above 3k. Almost a slight knocking sound.
I remember borrow a car from my cousin with a strange sound at low revolutions... my cousin said it goes away with speed.... several blocks later, I almost lost the tire...

Best explanation for the spongy brakes is air in the system. Due to bleed methods a lot of air can be captured in the fluid over the length of run from piston to caliper and in the caliper itself. Left alone for months the air coalesces at the high point in the system and when you mash down on the pedal, nada. Easiest fix? Remove the caliper and elevate it above the reservoir (use a tie-wrap) let it sit like that for a week. Then with something between the brake pads, bleed it again while elevated. Any air will be expelled since the caliper is the high point in the system. After that, top up your reservoir and button it up. Shouldn't have that issue after that. Vacuum bleeding will also work and is faster. The key, don't introduce air into the system (just shaking the bottle of DOT fluid can introduce microscopic air bubbles into the fluid). Really good video on the subject:

Back