Rear Brake Disc Loose?

Doc, I checked my TFC rear, not much play in it, may .001-.003 side to side.
The point of "floating" isn't a lot of freeplay, rather it's to reduce the heat buildup caused by pads that don't fully retract and rub the rotor. I.E. it doesn't require a quarter inch of play. It reduces overall wear on the pads and disk improving fuel economy with less wheel drag. It also accomodates any minor disk warpage (a real problem with fixed disks). Overall braking force isn't affected and the disk freeplay provides more even wear on pads since it moves relative to the side where force is greatest (limits disk warping). Brake caliper design is a major factor in disk design. Those fancy Brembos require fancy disks.

I’ll be there Saturday to compare brakes. I’m riding the TFC tomorrow over the mountains into NC.

The point of "floating" isn't a lot of freeplay, rather it's to reduce the heat buildup caused by pads that don't fully retract and rub the rotor. I.E. it doesn't require a quarter inch of play. It reduces overall wear on the pads and disk improving fuel economy with less wheel drag. It also accomodates any minor disk warpage (a real problem with fixed disks). Overall braking force isn't affected and the disk freeplay provides more even wear on pads since it moves relative to the side where force is greatest (limits disk warping). Brake caliper design is a major factor in disk design. Those fancy Brembos require fancy disks.

Basically self adjusting using the simplest solution. You can add to that better heat dissipation and lower weight, only the outer ring that comes in contact with the brake pads is made of steel, the center of the rotor is made of aluminium. Reducing rotating mass is a big factor here.

Back