Ran out of gas!

My Roadster has 2.0 US gallons left when the yellow light comes on. It has 1.0 US gallon left when the miles to empty reads Zero. It's very consistent and I can rely on it. I carry a quart of gas for peace of mind, there's no way I can push it uphill...
Mine had consistently approximately a gallon left in it after it said 0 miles to empty too. Until it didnt. And this is after 25,000 miles.

Before we had "café racer" bikes, now we have "gas station racer" bikes ... Why Triumph has decided to decrease tank capacity on the new R3 ?
Another 1 to 2 liters would have been obviously better but the current 19 l capacity of our 2020 R3 is in general bigger than most powerful roadsters of the market and with an average consumption more or less equivalent e.g. : (tank capacity)

- Ducati Streetfighter : 16 l
- Honda CB1000R : 16,2 l
- Yamaha MT10 2020 : 17 l
- Suzuki GSX-S1000 : 17 l
- KTM SuperDuke 1290 R : 18 l
- Aprilia RSV4 Factory : 18,5 l
- Kawasaki ZH2 : 19 l
- BMW S 1000 XR :
20 l

Last edited:
Well I ran out of gas again on Monday.

This time I was pulling into the push bike shop to get a new Trye and tube for the ebike.

Called the wife and she laughed and 5 minutes later turned up with the fuel can. Lucky it was so close to home.

I was wondering how long the fuel light had been on only ½ mile before.

****! I just don’t have the guts to ”Ride til she stops”. These Rockets suck air when you push them. I’ve been with a lot of you Capt‘s riding. Some of you are Good riders, most are very Good riders. Why in the blue blazes would you push these machines to empty. I hate to push a machine with a engine.

I ran mine out of gas on purpose. My light comes on at 90 miles. I'll be ****ed if I'm going to put gas in it a 90 miles. I had a 160 mile ride and had a quart bottle with me. As said before, I ran out at 150.8.
I think using the odometer is always the safest. When you refill you can check your mileage and double check your numbers instead of running it out.

Another 1 to 2 liters would have been obviously better but the current 19 l capacity of our 2020 R3 is in general bigger than most powerful roadsters of the market and with an average consumption more or less equivalent e.g. : (tank capacity)

- Ducati Streetfighter : 16 l
- Honda CB1000R : 16,2 l
- Yamaha MT10 2020 : 17 l
- Suzuki GSX-S1000 : 17 l
- KTM SuperDuke 1290 R : 18 l
- Aprilia RSV4 Factory : 18,5 l
- Kawasaki ZH2 : 19 l
- BMW S 1000 XR :
20 l
I underlined that the tank capacity of the new R3 has decreased (minus 20% versus first R3) and average gas consumption has increased a bit if you have to ride in town as I do sometimes. In addition, as I had a couple of times an overflowing while filling the tank of the R3 2.5 at the gas station, now I leave another additional 10% without gas in the tank. I never did that with my first R3.

Do you think that builders are decreasing tank capacity to hide the amount of money we put (at least in Europe) each time we fill the tank ( 29.5 € = 35 UDSD a full tank) ?​

Back