Ran out of gas!

Estoma's other bike

Attachments

• Gas Can.jpg
    Gas Can.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 41
I always let the miles remaining get to zero, then get to a gas station. I know the last gallon cools the fuel pump as some have said, but what good is a 6 gallon tank if you can't use most of it sometimes? That said, I usually only put about 5 1/4 gallons in, so it never really gets too low.

I did run out of fuel a few months ago as I didn't know that there was no petrol stations for about 180 km. (Highway 1 north of Rockhampton) I ran out 5-6 km before the petrol station and found out that it can run on methylated spirits.
But then you had nothing left to drink.......................

My Touring will go 35-40 miles past 0 miles left
My Roadster has 2.0 US gallons left when the yellow light comes on. It has 1.0 US gallon left when the miles to empty reads Zero. It's very consistent and I can rely on it. I carry a quart of gas for peace of mind, there's no way I can push it uphill...

My Roadster has 2.0 US gallons left when the yellow light comes on. It has 1.0 US gallon left when the miles to empty reads Zero. It's very consistent and I can rely on it. I carry a quart of gas for peace of mind, there's no way I can push it uphill...
Yup, about the same

I could rely on mine too, the first 30 times.
I'm just the opposite. If the gas light comes on (That usually doesn't happen) I bee line to the first reputable Gas station. You have done this how many times? Nerves of steal you have.
More like usually vast distances to the next station, lol. There are places in Az where it might be 100 miles between gas pumps.

I have noticed that gas consumption could be nearly twice when you are stuck in traffic jam in comparison with very cool ride in the country side. Therefore when the light is on I just fill the tank.

In addition I never ride until empty tank to prevent impurities for reaching the injection system.. My old HD is always kept with tank full after any ride to avoid rust production inside the tank. After nearly 22 years the engine starts at first time. The carburetor was adjusted 22 years ago without any change afterwards.

I am not sure that my Rocket will do the same...

I never leave town without at least one of these in the backpack. I have two. If not for myself, perhaps for another biker stranded for the same reason. It only takes a US quart (887 ml), which is plenty when you are dry. I also have larger fuel canisters, but they need to go in a saddlebag or locked on a pannier's back.
Untitled.png

Experience is the culmination of your own scr3w-ups and those of others that you were fortunate enough to hear about before repeating them yourself.
I've got a good trip planned this summer and I'll definitely be thinking about one of these. No issues with vapors I assume as it's completely sealed?
-MIG

Back