I have a radio mounted in the LandRover because it was the cheapest way to fill the hole in the dash. Never switch it on.
And, unless things have changed ALOT, my experience of radio in the USA is less than favourable. I'd rather be deaf!

For me the radio is in the SENA 20 intercom we have.

FWIW, the availability of the intercom was what changed my lovely pillion from a reluctant participant to an advocate proactively suggesting we ride. That aspect of it: priceless.

Back to the radio - being able to scan for traffic (sometimes) and weather (more often) is the primary - exclusive ? - purpoe - and of course, being in the helmet, not subject anyone else.

... external loudass speakers suck and those that use them are R-U-D-E!

I somewhat agree there, most motorcycle speakers are not the best, but there are some out there that are actually quite good--IF you want to pay for them.
As far as being R-U-D-E...That's the same as cars, you need to know when to turn them down so as NOT to be rude, like when you pull up to a light or in a parking lot.

@Joesmoe I should confess.
Not having intercoms is because when I am going down the road I will sing to myself and talk to myself. It is personal time to me.

We have Modular helmets so if we want to talk we just pop them open.

When weaving through traffic "Stuck in the Middle with You" is my groove song. I need to learn all the words one of these days.

Back