R3 Battery replacement

I have posted on other threads here but cannot fid where. You cannot use a true gel battery in a Rocket without making changes in the regulator. Gel batterys charge a a lesser voltage and will be short lived with the standard regulator. AGM batteries (Absorbed Glass Mat) like the OEM battery in your rock are the best without major changes. To make them last longer use the Electronic "Smart Chargers" to top off your battery at least once a mounth. Even if you are riding an a regular basis. Smart Chargers will not overcharge or harm your battery. i have a couple of these chargers and have something on charge most of the time. I routinely get 6 to 7 years life out of each. (not including cell phone batteries they are a pain in the ars)

Battery tender says you should keep it hooked up all the time. I worry about it failing and burning down my house.

Jack:

Friend of mine has the same mower,same kawski motor but It says John Deer on the side. Thought you didn't like Jap ****..As far as where I live, Iam thinking about a trailer park or condo..Cutting grass and maintaining all your farm implements starts to suck as you get older. Better have some kids real quick so they can do It for you. BJC

I don't care where it comes from so long as it's not ****. MTD who builds Cub Cadet is like a whore. We build it and for a price you can put your name on it. By the way MTD was founded in Cleveland, Ohio many years ago by 2 fellows just becoming American citizens (doing it the right way like it was done years ago). They immigrated from Yugoslavia and settled in the Cleveland area. Deere has an 'e' on the end by the way.:)

If I didn't like Jap ****, I'd never be driving a Suzuki, excuse me, Chevy Tracker or running 2 Kubota agricultural tractors. I luv Jap stuff......Like John Lennon sang.....'they are cute, cuddly and willing to please....excuse me, that's Chinese.

battery R3

Sounds like I need a bigger battery, they probably put a huge starter on the R3. Maybe the deep cycle would work.

I think that there are only two motorcycle battery manufacturing plants in the whole world.

There is also a conspiracy that limits the life of any motorcycle or lawn mower battery to just two years.

Bastards...:mad:

What are you guys doing to your batteries. Mine typically last five years. I have only ever replaced a battery because i thought I should, not because it was wearing down.

That said, I will also be looking for a new battery for the RIII that a former owner may not have maintained very well.........

May I recommend (no I don't sell them 'yet'), a Vector computerized battery charger. Black & Decker sell them too, but I'd just get the Vector (online) and piss on the sales tax.

The Vector has a computer controlled charge rate and it shuts completely off when the battery is full charged (and if you leave it connected it will resume charging when the battery drops below a full charge (like a battery tender)). It also has a de-sulfation mode that works really well for submerged plate type batteries (like your lawnmower, car or pickup truck). The one I have also has a 100 amp booster. It's autoranging, that is, it senses the battery's capacity and adjusts the charging amperage accordingly plus it's all digital readout.

I've had quite a few battery chargers and this one is the best (in my opinion). They ain't cheap, but good stuff never is unless you buy Flipmeister stuff.

Back